Please looking for honest owner reviews on avx1980 and 2080

Hello

I am considering a new 1980 with the proxs 4stroke or used 2080. I will be coming out of a ranger z519, need a narrower trailer width for new garage.
    Looking for what you like and dislike-
    How’s hole shot, ride and how does it fish?

Any other and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
    Brian

2. Member
    So I'm in an 1880 and can say that everyone who has ridden in my boat has been extremely impressed with the ride and hole shot. I can get into some very skinny water, probably barely a foot deep. I will say that I think it is a little slippery in wind or current, seems to come around quick, that being said my 80lb ultrex pulls it easily in strong current.

Fit and finish, I know others rave about it, and I think it's good, but I have had some loose screws, but everything works as it should.
    2020 White Vexus AVX 1880 Evinrude G2
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI
    Helix 9 G3N MDI w/ MEGA 360

3. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

4. Member
    Bspalding, I have an AVX2080 with the 200 Merc. I got it last Friday, so only had it out twice. I have owned 3 Rangers. FOr me the big difference is you dont have the plush interior of course. For a fishing boat, I am very satisfied. The engine and boat are a great match. The boat is instantly on plane, when going 30/40 mph and smash the hot foot the thing accelerates so quick. I have the Ghost, running it as 24v. Does not need 36v. Lots of room, huge front and rear decks. Many guys have stated it being a dry ride. In the right conditions you will get wet in all bass boats, but generally overall it is quite dry. The boat will run in excess of 60 mph with 25 gallons of fuel, fishing gear and 2 adults. The boat does not ride like other aluminum boats I have been in. You dont hear the "aluminum thump" as I refer it to. Being a Ranger owner you know the "one piece feel", you get the same feel in the Vexus. MOre after the upcoming weekend, going to do some night fishing.

5. Member
    Bspalding: I have a 2019 AVX 1980 but my outboard is the Evinrude G2 150 HO. I have owned three boats prior to this and have fished tournaments as a co-angler for years before that. I'm 54 years old and have a lot of time on the water in South Central Georgia and Western Michigan. Here's my take. Have I regretted my purchase in any way? No. It rides well and handles rough water well. A few things about that: my top end is mid-50's and when tournament fishing I can beat any other boat to spots close to launch due to the hole shot...simply put, it is amazing even with two guys between 200-220, livewell ready for fish and a full tournament load. It handles the "washing machine" of 20+ boats taking off at the same time very well. Due to my mis-reading of the turbulence, I have been accidentally airborn twice in the two summers (once was just this week). Each time the landing was much softer than I expected and never felt like I lost control. It's a pretty dry ride overall though when in big chop with strong winds, and taking waves on the side you can get sprayed. But I haven't found a boat that is a 100% dry ride yet.

I came out of a 17.5 ft Triton which handled rough water pretty well and my tournament partner has a Nitro Z6. I've fished in a Z19 and Z20 and I would put the ride of the AVX 1980 up against the larger of those two any day of the week. They have better top end, but my back doesn't hurt in chop in my boat but it does when in the others. I love the boat.

How does it fish? Very well. Front deck is long, though not as wide as others. If I remove the front "butt seat", two people can fish the front deck comfortably. There is very little "sway" when my partner is moving around on the back deck. I can get places glass boats cannot (very skinny water). The front deck seems to sit a little higher than comparable glass boats, but I haven't noticed a downside to it (gives me a little better view when site fishing). Only once have I had to ask my partner to come to the front deck so we could clear a sand bar (hull had bottomed out) but my graph was blinking which it does when in under a foot of water.

My experience with customer service has been amazing - any issue I have had (mostly minor) has been handled with speed and courtesy.

Negatives: 1) It is "slippery" at idle speeds. Docking and loading haven't been a problem, though I have to drive it more than the glass boats do. But when sitting in one spot, waiting for launch, I have to adjust my position much more often than the glass boats. I consider this a trade off for the skinny water capabilities, but it can get irritating. Spot lock (GPS anchor) works well to hold it in place while fishing. 2) thus far there is no keel guard that will stay put. I haven't purchased one yet, but if you read the posts on this forum, you will find that they don't always stay on the boat. This means there are places I can't launch alone (no dock and rocky shore). 3) If you are going to install shallow water anchors, I would suggest just ordering without the swim/safety ladder. From what I understand, it must be removed in order to install shallow water anchors (which I plan to do off season this year). 4) Storage space is excellent, however, tackle dividers would have been a nice touch in either center, side or back compartments. The back compartments are very large, but they are not designed to fit 3700 boxes perfectly. They fit just fine, but if you fill it up, they aren't "snug." They all have drain holes and they do stay very dry. 5) The little compartment under the step to front deck...I use it as a day box and found out the hard way that it is NOT a dry box in any way, shape or form. If there is heavy rain, anything in there needs to be moved to center rod locker or other dry box. 6) When coming off plane, you need to 'burp" the throttle to avoid soaking the back deck (not a big issue for me, but when running and gunning, I can forget). 7) This hasn't been an issue for me, but others have stated they get condensation on the lids of their storage boxes in the summer when the boat is stored outside. Mine is in the garage, but if it's really humid, I open the lids just in case.

I hope this helps - even if I was a bit too loquacious. I'm open to any questions you might have and I have no vested interest in you buying a Vexus or not. When I purchased, I took a risk. I was the first AVX owner in Michigan and had never been in one, never seen one in person and had to drive to MN to take delivery. First decision I had ever made like that, but chose to trust my research and not my eyes. Could have backfired, but didn't. PM me with any questions, I usually check BBC four or five times a week.

6. Member
    I have the 1980/G2 combo as well. Wish everyone could experience this combination. Sad that we will be some of the last to have this terrific outboard.

Your comment that made me think back on my 18 months of experience in my Vexus was about this boat not hurting your back. I don’t know what it is exactly about this boat, but you’re right. I often had some back pain after fishing out my buddy’s Nitro. We now fish mostly out of my Vexus 1980 (1/3 as much fuel...thanks Etec G2!), and I don’t get back pain after a day in rough water. I don’t know if the aluminum gives more or if it’s all the foam in the hull or both, but you’re right! Another bonus I wasn’t even realizing about owning a Vexus.
    Last edited by Jimbug; 08-19-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

7. Member
    @Jimbug - glad to hear it's not just me. Also, to jump on the G2 thing - I am amazed at the fuel economy.

8. Member
    Curious about the keel guard comment. I don’t plan to run it up against boulders or anything but I didn’t even consider a keel guard on an aluminum boat.

Keel shield is suppose to work great although I have no personal experience with it.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    @Cbump - painted hull. Not like a typical aluminum boat. Until I get a keel shield that I know works, not wanting to scratch up the paint. I might see if I can get a bedliner shield sprayed on - should be just like spraying in to F150 bed.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDWalk View Post
    @Cbump - painted hull. Not like a typical aluminum boat. Until I get a keel shield that I know works, not wanting to scratch up the paint. I might see if I can get a bedliner shield sprayed on - should be just like spraying in to F150 bed.

Dang. Didn't even think of the paint. I pick mine up Saturday morning and it's white bottom.

12. Member
    Thank You!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    Dang. Didn't even think of the paint. I pick mine up Saturday morning and it's white bottom.
    I called Line-X for keel guard spray liner and the will not do it on aluminum anymore. Apparently It was chipping off, I still wonder if it was from no or improper surface prep.

I have owned both a 1980 and 2080. The 2080 is an awesome setup. I have the Merc on mine and that motor is a beast. However, I ran a G2 on my 1980 and it was probably my favorite of all the motors I have had on my boats. The hole shot is unreal, a boat length and you are up on plane rolling. While it appears to be a little bow high, it is actually feels flat when you are on the front deck. Wind can be a factor, however with spot lock it negates that and holds you solid. Plenty of room for 2 people on the front deck and when you do have a co on the back, this is very little boat movement when they are moving around. In general there is a very solid feel to the overall boat when fishing and driving. Plenty of storage in the boat for sure. It will hold everything you need and more.......since most of us carry a hell of a lot more tackle than we need or use. I am still getting my 2080 dialed in and really can't say anything negative at this point. As mentioned above you will get some backwash over the back if you are running and shut it down. But I haven't noticed it nearly as much on the 2080 as I did on the 1980.

I would also definitely recommend joining the Vexus Boat Owners Page on FB. There are a lot more owners on that page and also many who are looking for feedback on buying one like yourself. It is pretty impressive to see the amount of new owners posting up pics of their new Vexus.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

15. Member
    Thats a great idea TDWalk! I hesitated to put on a keel shield because, if it were to fail the adhesive, I was thinking it might bring paint with it. If the paint
    ever starts coming off it will continue. So, with that said, the spray on, should be awesome. Be nice to pile that on up to about 3/16's thick.
    I will update, when I get mine done. Will do this myself.

16. Member
    I've had my 2080 with 200 G2 for 2 years this coming January. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about the boat, engine, and the service from my dealer and the Vexus factory. I've had one minor issue and it was taken care of quickly and without question. The boat itself will run and ride with any glass boat out there IMO. As someone else said, if you hit a quartering wave incorrectly there will be minor spray if the wind is blowing into that side of the boat (I haven't been in a boat that doesn't do this). I have owned 3 boats including this one...a 91 Ranger 481V, a 2017 Ranger z185, and my Vexus. The Vexus is much more boat than either of those and is obviously faster and rides better. My dad will tell people that my boat rides as good or better than his 2014 z520c. The only thing I would trade my boat for is another Vexus (2080 or VX20). You cannot go wrong with either the 1980 or 2080, just depends on how fast you want to go.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

17. Member
    There are a lot of honest opinions here and I agree with pretty much all of them. However, anytime someone asks about the 2080/200 holeshot, I just grin and keep quiet. If holeshot is a deal breaker, just go to your nearest dealer and write a check.