Thread: New to guitar

New to guitar

New to any instrument for that matter. I bought a Les Paul Standard. Never played before and 50 years old. Can someone steer me in the right direction to learn how to play. I'd don't mind taking lessons but I'd like to do a lot at home.
    Last edited by Landar; 10-11-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Learn how to play a few chords at first . A, E, C, D, G Take your time, you will get some callous on your finger tips. :) Listen and say each chord as you play them. Nothing beats good earring training, it will pay off in the long run.

3. Member
    Youtube is your friend, Learn some basic chords . Pick a song you like and find it online.Marty Schwartz breaks down songs.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Youtube is your friend, Learn some basic chords . Pick a song you like and find it online.Marty Schwartz breaks down songs.
    Good advice here. I decided to learn to play guitar at beginning of the year and something to do in these COVID times. Tons of stuff on youtube.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

5. Member
    Check out Banjo Ben on YouTube
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by VH5150 View Post
    Learn how to play a few chords at first . A, E, C, D, G Take your time, you will get some callous on your finger tips. :) Listen and say each chord as you play them. Nothing beats good earring training, it will pay off in the long run.
    This ^^^^! Once you get them chords down, it basically opens up the door to lots of songs. Also work on transitions like G-C, G-A, and G-D.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    search youtube for:

steve stine

guitarjamz

both channels are have some very good beginner stuff

8. Member
    I second Steve Stine...total stud.

9. Member
    Justinguitar.com has the best online lessons I've found. He has them organized into courses like Beginner's. Intermediate, Blues, etc.

The lessons are FREE - Justin makes money through donations and selling merchandise. I'd suggest at least buying his Beginner's song book.

He also has lots of lessons on YouTube.

Here's some information about him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Sandercoe

get tutorials on youtube. remember that slow and perfect leads to fast and perfect. practice as much as possible, do it a thousands times till you get it and then do it another thousand times till you really get it good.
    Ranger Forever

11. Member
    Try Active Meody.com Brian is really good once yu have the basics down.

12. Member
    Going to go against the grain here a bit and recommend you go get in person lessons for a while. You don't want to develop bad habits and have to go back and learn the right way to do things later on. I had been playing guitar for a long time and in just a few lessons with a good instructor gave me plenty of things I needed to refine my playing. There is a right way to do simple things like how to hold the guitar or how to place your fingers on the neck to make playing easier. In my case my left hand position was wrong. I had been doing it so long I didn't even notice. Once he taught me the correct way to hold my guitar it improved my playing.

13. Member
    Lessons would help, but main thing is have fun.

14. Member
    Get a book of guitar chords

practice them

G,C,D,E and you can play 60% of classic rock and 95% of country songs

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    Going to go against the grain here a bit and recommend you go get in person lessons for a while. You don't want to develop bad habits and have to go back and learn the right way to do things later on. I had been playing guitar for a long time and in just a few lessons with a good instructor gave me plenty of things I needed to refine my playing. There is a right way to do simple things like how to hold the guitar or how to place your fingers on the neck to make playing easier. In my case my left hand position was wrong. I had been doing it so long I didn't even notice. Once he taught me the correct way to hold my guitar it improved my playing.

^^^THIS^^^ If not you will develop bad habits that will be very difficult to fix later on. I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and this is good advice....

I saw a video the other day that was a great exercise. Put your left hand on your knee and have someone say a chord and see how fast you can make that chord, cleanly. Without your fingers muffling other strings. Or say a chord yourself and immediately making that chord. Or go thru the abc’s. I also got a poster of all the chords and started learning them one by one. That poster helped me tremendously, because I’m awful with barre chords and I’d rather make the chord up the neck than a bare chord.