Thread: Trailer Lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Trailer Lights

Was towing boat home yesterday from NH , noticed lights were not working . Plugged them in after pulling boat out water , they were working fine . I hope I do not have to bring truck back to the dealer (been through this 2times before ) it was a bad connection with the truck. Just hoping this time it's just a bad ground .

2. Member
    The white wire is the ground. Take a meter and measure resistance from white wire to both the trailer frame and truck frame resistance should be zero
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    All of the lights or just some?

No reason to ever unplug to launch or load the boat. Maybe you didn’t get the connector in all the way. It can take some grunting to get some 7-pins seated all the way.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Banned
    I had to slightly squeeze the ground wire at the trailer end , seemed a little loose, lights would flicker . Worked okay all the way to the lake and about half way home . Will check things out later. Thanks

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    I had to slightly squeeze the ground wire at the trailer end , seemed a little loose, lights would flicker . Worked okay all the way to the lake and about half way home . Will check things out later. Thanks
    Hook your trailer writing to the truck, but don’t let the hitch touch the trailer while checking wiring and lights. The ball will give you a half-assed ground that will fool you into thinking it’s working but will quit on the road.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Banned
    Did that.
    Left directional works,left brake light works
    No marker lights,Tail lights not working.
    Nothing works on the right side.
    Tested light connection at truck , OKay. What is next ? rewire new harness ?

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Did that.
    Left directional works,left brake light works
    No marker lights,Tail lights not working.
    Nothing works on the right side.
    Tested light connection at truck , OKay. What is next ? rewire new harness ?
    Check fuses in your truck. There is likely a separate one for each brake/turn light and tail lights.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Banned
    I think the truck has nothing to do with it. (As of now ) . Truck is fine , everything works . The last time it happened , all the small icons would not light up,... heat , defrost,AC , etc. would not light up . Have an idea that I did last time to to isolate the problem ,... connectca friends trailer up to my truck to see what is going on .

Check the ground wire from the trailer plug to the trailer frame. If you have a swing or break away tongue, it should be connected to the main frame behind the tongue.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Banned
    I tried a friend of mine's boat trailer , same problem as mine . It is the truck , not the trailer .Rear Marker lights on truck do not work , but the headlights, directionals do work . Calling dealer tomorrow. It will be year #3 for this problem .

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Probably 2 50 cent fuses you can change in 2 minutes unless it’s a Ram. Not worth a dealer trip.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Probably 2 50 cent fuses you can change in 2 minutes unless it’s a Ram. Not worth a dealer trip.

Grounds can be a bear sometimes.

A different situation but still a ground problem.

We received new gears ( articulators , bogies, ) the 5th Wheel and 4 tires that go in between 2 semi trailers to make a set. The bogies had a built in electrical cord that Went to the back of the front trailer———— and plugged into the front of the back trailer. As long as the back trailer had enough weight on the bogie the lights on the back trailer worked fine. A light load or an empty back trailer the lights only worked (flickered)when we hit a bump.
    To solve this we made up a 6’ wire with alligator clips on each end. Clipped on end to the front trailer, and the other end to the back trailer.problem solved. We had a hellava time trying to explain it to the terminal manager. Finally we cut the factory light cord of of the bogie, bought new light cords and ran them from trailer to trailer bypassing the bogie.

The point of this is the same as——— don’t use the hitch ball as the ground

14. Member
    Yeah the ground is a bear at times that will have you chasing everywhere. I bought an "assemble yourself" trailer to customize into a kayak trailer and it's bolted together instead of welded. If you follow the directions it will not ground properly. You either have to sand some paint at each light and ground or pigtail them all (what I did) and make a common ground close to the hitch but not on the ball.

This trailer also folds for storage so it has a breakaway tongue as well, take that into consideration when you ground to good bare metal.

15. Member
    Since (apparently) your truck fuses are blown, it should not affect the trailer unless you have an older truck. Most new trucks have separate fuses for the trailer. If it does not, and you have a short in the trailer, it could blow the truck fuses. If you do not have submersible rated lights, you do need to disconnect them when launching.
    Troubleshoot each circuit separately once you establish that you have a good ground.

16. Banned
    2015 Nissan Frontier 4X4
    How can they be checked if not working ?

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    2015 Nissan Frontier 4X4
    How can they be checked if not working ?
    Look in the owners manual and see where the trailer fuses are located. Most vehicles they are in a fuse box under the hood, but I’m not familiar with Nissans. Swapping the fuse for a new one is the simplest check. Otherwise use a multimeter to measure resistance.
    nothing else matters.​

18. Banned
    Been there,done that . Lack of info where to look .

Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

20. Banned
    Found the burnt out fuse , hope there are not more .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast