Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please be honest (Update page 2)

Brand loyalty aside I need some help. I'm in the market for a new or new to me boat. Been fishing out of a Ranger for the last fourteen years, 520 to be exact. Besides all the obvious like customer service, craftsmanship and standing behind a product. Trolling motor down stability is my number one concern. Keeping this short and to the point are the faster boats less stable on the front deck while fishing?

I know most will say if you like the stability of the Ranger just stay with the brand. The problem is I love the top cap on a Phoenix (also Skeeter) boat. I feel like they are more thought out as far as storage and comfort concerns.

The difference between 69mph and 79mph are not of significance to me. What matters the most is a stable platform while the trolling motor is down. If you could please leave brand loyalty out of this, I understand they are all outstanding, well made boats but this could be my "for a long time boat" so I want to be absolutely sure this time.

Thanks for any help you can provide. If you have gone from a Ranger 500 series to Phoenix that would be awesome. Looking at a 921 Pro XP to be exact. If something better suites my goals please chime in.

Thanks again
    Brad
    Last edited by SMOKEDIVER36; 09-29-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    2004 Ranger 520VX Comanche SOLD
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

2. Member
    I haven't owned a Ranger but I am on my second Phoenix. I ran a 719 for 9 years and I currently have a 921 Elite and can't imagine you would be disappointed in any way.

3. Member
    there are lots of 921 pro xs out there to test.... go fish in one and let that make up your mind... my opinion after owing a Ranger and a few other brands.... and now 2020 921 pro... the ranger will set just a tad flatter in water in my opinion but its so close not sure many people can tell the difference.. stability in my opinion they are the same.... I am only speaking about 921 pro... now my ranger had a 250 2 stroke and not sure what size jack plate.... the phoenix 921 pro xs has the 300R with a 12 inch jack plate... I will say this 921 pro is as stable as they come and really enjoy this boat with no complaints...if you ever are in Texas and want to fish or try it out just let me know...

4. Member
    I have a 21PHX. Had a triton 20XS before. I thought the triton was good for stability when fishing, but it was crap compared to the PHX. I fish with a buddy that is a really big guy. When he moved around in the triton, it would move me. When he moves around in the PHX I hardly feel it. I fished a tournament with a guy in a 520 a while back. Can’t remember exactly how it was, but I’d say you won’t be disappointed with these big Phoenix’s

5. Member
    I have had multiple Rangers over the years and am now on my third Phoenix. Both brands are great boats for sure. I always run 21' boats, and the Phoenix is every bit as stable as the Ranger. I'm a big guy and I've never had an issue with stability with the trolling motor in the water. The only other big difference is the Phoenix runs much smoother and drier in rough water.

6. Member
    Thank all of you very much. This is great information and much appreciated, especially the offer to fish out of one. I've been lurking between the Ranger, Skeeter and Phoenix sub forums for a while and it always seemed a few would end up saying these boats are tippy in the front. Good to hear they are not.

My plan was to wait another couple years and I had my heart set on the 21 PHX, but a really nice 921 Pro popped up locally and I have the bug bad.

Thanks again guys for the help.
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Mark View Post
    I have had multiple Rangers over the years and am now on my third Phoenix. Both brands are great boats for sure. I always run 21' boats, and the Phoenix is every bit as stable as the Ranger. I'm a big guy and I've never had an issue with stability with the trolling motor in the water. The only other big difference is the Phoenix runs much smoother and drier in rough water.
    Hard to say it better than quote I pasted above, but here goes... I've owned Ranger (520 & R70), Stratos (201), Viper (Cobra 201), Skeeter (200ZX) and Phoenix (721 & 921) bass boats. The Ranger 520 and Phoenix 921 are by far the best fishing platforms I've been on (including other brands/models I've fished out of). That being said, both of the Phoenix boats I've owned have done better on fuel (particularly in rougher water), are night and day better than a 520 in rough water (softer, faster, drier), handle better, and get on plane faster (although with the Merc4XS, everything jumps out of the hole these days). IMHO, if the Ranger was $5K less I still wouldn't give it consideration. I personally don't like the looks of a Skeeter, but the Skeeter I ran for several years had a good fishing platform and was better in rough water IMHO than the Ranger. To summarize my personal experience.

Fishing Platform... Phoenix=Ranger>Skeeter>everything else
    Rough Water Ride... Phoenix>Stratos>Skeeter>Ranger>everything else
    Fuel Economy... Phoenix>Skeeter>Ranger (no comments on anything else because of the large 'technology' gaps in motors on some of my earlier boats)
    Handling & Holeshot... Phoenix>Skeeter>Ranger (no comments on anything else because of the large 'technology' gaps in motors on some of my earlier boats)

8. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Take a ride in a Phoenix 921 and have them put the TM down. Walk around the edges to see how much or little it leans. See for yourself how the stability is for you. Everyone is comfortable with different levels of stability but I believe you will be pleased with the Phoenix. If you can hit a few big rollers or boat wakes while running it will seal the deal for you.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

9. BBC SPONSOR
    You are more than welcome ro come down to our store and ill take you out in my 921 Elite.
    Give me a call. 859-647-2628.
    Rich Young
    Wieda's Marine

I have not owned one but have ridden in a few Rangers and Phoenix boats as a co-angler. All I can say is that if I was to buy one of those brands, it would be Phoenix. They have top tier CS and the ride/performance is better. I know that driver input can make a difference but the Phoenix boats just seem to make it easier to be a good driver. The interior layout is a wash as it is personal preference. The live wells in the Phoenix are better too. Just my opinion of course. I have not worked on either one. Go get a demo ride and make your decision!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Malones marine in ironton ohio has a 19 19phx loaded for sale only 20 hrs a real good looking boat you might look at . Its on there webb site page . ask for chris or tyler.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSkeeter77 View Post
    Take a ride in a Phoenix 921 and have them put the TM down. Walk around the edges to see how much or little it leans. See for yourself how the stability is for you. Everyone is comfortable with different levels of stability but I believe you will be pleased with the Phoenix. If you can hit a few big rollers or boat wakes while running it will seal the deal for you.
    I agree. I had the 721 and it was very stable. It actually surprised me that it was that stable for a narrower boat

13. Member
    I just made the change from a Ranger R93 to a 721 which is night and day difference, when i was looking to me phoenix lay out is what sold me, the 721 deck is narrower at the front but do not notice it. if you can find someone go for a ride and see what you think Wiedas is a great place and very helpful

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jettdog68 View Post
    You are more than welcome ro come down to our store and ill take you out in my 921 Elite.
    Give me a call. 859-647-2628.
    Rich Young
    Wieda's Marine
    Thanks again for all the input. That's why I love this place.

Mr. Young I appreciate the offer and a trip to Wieda's is definitely in my future.
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEDIVER36 View Post
    Thanks again for all the input. That's why I love this place.

Mr. Young I appreciate the offer and a trip to Wieda's is definitely in my future.
    Rich and the Wiedas group will treat you right! Good guy and good after sale support. We bought a 920xp from them and they were great to work with.

16. Member
    Guy I fish with often has a 20 PHX, couple times has had his boat in the shop for motor issues and we borrowed his dads 520. In my experience, the phx is a far more comfortable ride than the ranger.

If speed is not your ultimate concern I would look at the PHX models. They have a little deeper hull and are made to handle rough water better. I think it helps make the boat a little more stable than the xp's having fished out of both.

It Wieda's has both for you to go out on that would be ideal IMO

17. Member
    I had a 02 520 now I have a 919 and my brother has a 721 it’s more stable than my 919 obviously it’s 1.5 foot longer. They are very stable. The only boat more stable that I’ve been in is a 521c. But even that difference is minimal.

18. Member
    I’ve fished 100’s of hrs out of my fathers 04’ 521 and in comparison to my 17’ 721 the Phoenix is more nimble when it comes to maneuvering around docks and tight places. For a 20’11” boat the 721 is very stable, I never use the front pedestal and on rough and windy days I have no problem maintaining balance and stability without it. I’ve never fished out of a 921, but I can only imagine the stability is even better than the 721.
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXp w/250 YamahaSHO

19. Member
    I owned a few rangers over a 20 yr period and bought my 919 in 2015. The Phoenix is the best boat I have owned. Fast, fun to drive and fishes great. The ride says it all.

20. Member
    I've owned three rangers, one being an 04 521VX. Two champions, nitro and pro craft. Phoenix is the best boat I've owned for all around performance and fishability. Just borrowed a friend's Z521 when I bent a prop shaft...a piece of crap compared to my 920, imo. Phoenix rides as good as my champion and fishes as good as the 520. To be clear, nothing turns like the champions, but Phoenix ride is on par. You won't be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast