#FRB

Difference between Quicksilver and Mercury branded 4-stroke oil?

Is there any difference in formulation between the Quicksilver and Mercury branded oil? I've seen both on the shelf next to each other and the Mercury branded stuff cost more. Is one straight dino oil and the other a synthetic blend? And is it safe to mix the two if needed? I do know for certain brands different formulations of the same brand of oil won't play nice with each other.

I remember reading that both of the Mercury branded oils (Merc and Quicksilver) are fine for my 75hp Merc 4-stroke as long as proper weight is used. Really just wondering if one is better than the other?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

No difference! Mercury oil is for Mercury Dealers. Quicksilver is for Walmart, Academy and other non dealer retailers.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. #FRB
    Makes sense I saw both a Bass Pro since they're a Merc dealer and outdoor store, lol.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Is there any difference in formulation between the Quicksilver and Mercury branded oil? I've seen both on the shelf next to each other and the Mercury branded stuff cost more. Is one straight dino oil and the other a synthetic blend? And is it safe to mix the two if needed? I do know for certain brands different formulations of the same brand of oil won't play nice with each other.

I remember reading that both of the Mercury branded oils (Merc and Quicksilver) are fine for my 75hp Merc 4-stroke as long as proper weight is used. Really just wondering if one is better than the other?
    There are standard DINO oils and there are Synthetic BLENDS in BOTH the Mercury and the Quicksilver lineup.

Need to make sure you're comparing "Apples to Apples" - and buying the correct lubricant for your engine, based on the engine's Serial Number. Yours is likely able to run either, in a 10w30 or 25w40.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-13-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!
    I knew that was coming. 10w30 in a Syn blend Merc oil is what they say my motor needs in most situations so all is good right now.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex