Thread: Trolling motor

Trolling motor

Asking for a friend that bought a boat with a Motor Guide trolling motor on it. Boat needed a bunch of work, but it was priced right, nothing was hooked up, no batteries, etc...The trolling motor is definitely a Motor Guide, but there are no plates or decals on it at all. The to cover is screwed up to the extent you can't read what was on it. Million dollar question is, how can you tell if it is 12 volt or 24 volt.

Post a picture, someone may recognize it and let you know. You could also test the resistance of a known 12 volt and known 24 volt then compare them to the resistance of the one you have.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Post it on the trolling motor/electrical page someone there will know for sure.

What's the receptacle in the bow panel look like? It's been about 25 years since I had a 12volt, but my 24v. has always had a push & twist plug, while the 12v was just a 3 prong push plug like the toaster.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    There is no plug, previous owner had it straight wired. Thanks, I will try the trolling motor page also. I just figured more would see it here quicker.....

6. Member
    If it's variable speed, it's most likely 24 volt. If it's a 5 speed, it could be either. The 24v variable won't run on 12 volts, so hook a single battery up and see what happens.

7. Member
    Here are some pictures, I don't know why he didn't get a little closer ...The motor is 3-1/2 inch...
    I have a Motor Guide Pro 6700 and I know mine is 24v, and it looks exactly like his but I know it can and still be 12v...

It's a 5 speed, not variable, got the turtle and rabbit on the foot pedal. His runs on 12v so maybe that's what it is...Thanks for the help

He's not the best picture taker

11643.jpeg11644.jpeg11646.jpeg

8. Member
    I’m pretty sure that red switch on the left of the pedal is a three position with 12v/off/24v. Have him look at the wires coming out of the foot. If there are two, it’s most likely 12v only; if there are three, it should be 12v/24v.

jim

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterXRi View Post
    I’m pretty sure that red switch on the left of the pedal is a three position with 12v/off/24v. Have him look at the wires coming out of the foot. If there are two, it’s most likely 12v only; if there are three, it should be 12v/24v.

jim
    this

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterXRi View Post

jim
    nope, it’s a high speed (rabbit), momentary and off.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Pure guess but remove the cap of the trolling motor and see if there is any identification on the inside of the cap.

12. Member
    Nothing in the cap but a decal with the cap part number on it. He checked into that and it appears it fits both 12v and 24v..Will chec for number of wires today. Thanks