Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine shuts off after starting?

1B254547
    06 Merc Opti 200

With the new powerhead on now, almost to the 1 YEAR manufacture expiration date...I took the boat out and remembered one time 3weeks ago at the dock I primed the bulb then started the motor and put stuff into the boat, after less than 5min the motor shuts off. Restart and went on my day fine. This past weekend, took it out again, wife started motor up while I was in the truck and she said it shuts off after a couple minutes of running on neutral at the dock...then I tried to restart again, and motor fired up but shuts off again after 3 minutes more or less. I re-prime and start it up again, this time it didnt shut off. And I dont recall hearing any beep so far. I haven't had this issue before. Any advice or pointers?

Could it be:

fuel starvation?

clogged fuel rail?

clogged compressor water filter?

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Check the pulse pump.
    Check the fuel tank vent.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Check the pulse pump.
    Check the fuel tank vent.
    I replaced?rebuild the pulse pump last year. But will check the tank valve vent, if I can get access to it. My boat is a triton 190 fs so space inside tight.

thanks

4. Member
    Last year was...
    Last year....and you have a problem now. I would still disassemble and inspect the pulse pump. What is the fuel pressure at the VST as the problem is occurring.

5. Member
    Last year was...
    Last year....and you have a problem now. I would still disassemble and inspect the pulse pump. What is the fuel pressure at the VST as the problem is occurring.
    last year just before spring. Is the fuel pressure showing from the merc monitor screen? If it is, right now the screen reads 10.1 psi.

6. Member
    You can NOT read your fuel pressure on the Mercmonitor. That's for a different motor.

7. Member
    You can NOT read your fuel pressure on the Mercmonitor. That's for a different motor.
    Correct.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As suggested- start at the Pulse Fuel Pump. Weak/Damaged/Improperly Seated Check Valves, springs rolled, or incorrect order/stacking/orientation of gaskets/diaphragms are some of the many potential causes.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    understood but when can I read it for the new motor? Is there certain hours before it can be recorded in the mercmonitor?

10. Member
    Record what?

11. Member
    20200814_151913[1].jpg20200814_151752[1].jpgScreenshot_20200814-152056_Gallery[1].jpg

I havent opened up the pulse yet but by looking at this part, you can see oil leaking out below it. I don't recall that much build up on the lower cowl before. Last night there was a droplet by the arrow shown so I wiped it off to see if will leak more today, it seems like there is a little here in the pictures.
    Can I just tighten up the hex screw where it leaked?
    Last edited by 4motion; 08-14-2020 at 03:43 PM.

12. Member
    Record what?
    the fuel pressure or whatever engine language to the mercmonitor.

13. Member
    The Mercmonitor can NOT RECORD, or READ fuel PRESSURE on a two stroke motor.

That’s your oil pump in post 11. Known leakage problems and many have been replaced. Check all the lines in the back to make sure no lines are leaking. Expensive little rascal.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    That’s your oil pump in post 11. Known leakage problems and many have been replaced. Check all the lines in the back to make sure no lines are leaking. Expensive little rascal.
    so if this thing did leaked, was it the cause of the engine shut off per my initial question? and how much does it usually cost?
    Last edited by 4motion; 08-15-2020 at 12:48 AM.

16. Member
    The Mercmonitor can NOT RECORD, or READ fuel PRESSURE on a two stroke motor.
    so how or where do I check for the vst fuel pump pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by 4motion View Post
    so if this thing did leaked, was it the cause of the engine shut off per my initial question? and how much does it usually cost?
    Leaking oil pump wont make your engine shut off. You can try to tighten the stainless screws in the front but doubt it will help. There’s a bunch of threads on leaking oil pumps and guys have taken them apart, replaced o rings to try and stop them from leaking, etc. but if it’s leaking internally your best bet is to replace it. Don’t jeopardize your motor on some home brew fix of such an important part of your motor. Those lines behind it go to each cylinder and the compressor. Don keeps them in stock at European Marine. Please call Rhonda for a quote.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4motion View Post
    so how or where do I check for the vst fuel pump pressure?
    With a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge, at the VST valve stem. Are you working on this motor, or are you giving suggestions to another technician?

You had fuel issues before.......Click on this >>>>>Fuel line build up inside VST . HELP!

So I would go through the entire fuel system AGAIN, especially EVERYTHING inside the VST, before the new powerhead blows.
    Last edited by Savage; 08-15-2020 at 07:43 AM.

19. Member
    With a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge, at the VST valve stem. Are you working on this motor, or are you giving suggestions to another technician?

You had fuel issues before.......Click on this >>>>>Fuel line build up inside VST . HELP!

So I would go through the entire fuel system AGAIN, especially EVERYTHING inside the VST, before the new powerhead blows.

Savage, it is my motor. Yep will check on the vst and fuel again.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Additionally- and a TOTALLY SEPARATE problem, you need to plan to replace your Oil Pump (as it's leaking). An oil pump prime will need to be done once the new pump has been installed (on the Computer Diagnostic System).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast