Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    FLW has a good group. Marty Stone has been around the block many times. He offers a lot more than any of the BASS commentators.

Sorry for the guys that do not like him. Have you ever talked to him in person. A pure fishing guy.
    Saying he offers more than the BASS guys actually made me laugh out loud, haven’t heard a good joke like that in a while. And who cares if he’s a good guy in person or a pure fishing guy? That is completely irrelevant in whether or not a guy makes a good sports commentator. Just because someone was in an industry For a while doesn’t automatically make them a good host.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Member
    Marty has a bad habit of talking with his hands, like a preacher when he is on camera. His go to line is always," Whoever makes that adjustment will come away with this one", no s#%t.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    The Bass Live crew is certainly much better than FLW Live crew. But, I think that Marty is the highlight of the FLW team. Compared to the other FLW guys, Marty, JT, and the Chad McKee are a treat! I don't get where the hate for Marty comes from. He knows bass fishing, tournament fishing, and knows the competitors. For those of you too young to remember, when Tommy Sanders first came on the scene he was not very good and he received a ton of criticism on social media. Obviously, he's one of the best now.
    What social media was prevalent enough to be much of a factor 25-30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    What social media was prevalent enough to be much of a factor 25-30 years ago.
    Many (and probably most) on the old Bass Fishing Home Page in the mid-late 90's were very critical of Tommy Sanders.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Me and my cousin made the original MLF Marty Stone drinking game:
    1. Every time he touches his finger tips together you have to take a shot
    2. Get your stomach pumped by the 4th time he’s on camera because you probably took 30 shots in less than a half hour.

i liked him a lot on the original MLF show back when it wasn’t a professional tour and Shelly Sanders was a host. The original MLF was awesome and one of my favorite things to watch.. smaller boats, no practice, different lakes/areas every time. That was the MLF at its best. Things evolve, and the BPT just ain’t for me
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    2. Get your stomach pumped by the 4th time he’s on camera because you probably took 30 shots in less than a half hour.

i liked him a lot on the original MLF show back when it wasn’t a professional tour and Shelly Sanders was a host. The original MLF was awesome and one of my favorite things to watch.. smaller boats, no practice, different lakes/areas every time. That was the MLF at its best. Things evolve, and the BPT just ain’t for me
    I agree with 100% of everything in the above reply...you will get drunk fast playing that game and when MLF was a side dish I enjoyed that format but I don't care for the BPT format as my main course.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    Marty Stone is the Booger McFarlan of bass fishing as far as I'm concerned :)
    winner winner, chicken dinner. Never figured out why Marty Stone is considered good for the sport or the industry, what exactly has he accomplished to be considered a subject matter expert?

8. Member
    BASS Live is top of the class by a considerable margin. Great chemistry, great insight and just plain enjoyable to watch.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Saying he offers more than the BASS guys actually made me laugh out loud, haven’t heard a good joke like that in a while. And who cares if he’s a good guy in person or a pure fishing guy? That is completely irrelevant in whether or not a guy makes a good sports commentator. Just because someone was in an industry For a while doesn’t automatically make them a good host.
    It's good to hear the voice of reason and wisdom now and then on this subject.

Mr Stone got a lot of air time when ESPN owned B.A.S.S. He wasn't very good on their non tournament B.A.S.S. Programming and hasn't gotten any better since then.

Nobody is disagreeing that Marty was a successful Pro and knows his fishing. Just don't tell me because of that he's automatically a quality commentator.

That's Fact not Jealousy, Hate, Anti MLF/BPT sentiment or Whatever B.S. Term is in vogue on the BBC today.

10. Member
    ....you guys are rough, deffinately not for the thin skinned folks....

We did the same thing with Zona saying "best on planet earth" or "keeping it honest"

12. Member
    I prefer B.A.S.S.'s coverage because I can switch to Live Mix if they start to talk too much in the studio and FLW and BPT do not have this option.
    Bass Boat