2010 Bass Cat Pantera II w/ 200hp Yamaha SHO (pad to prop)

Good afternoon. Can anybody here recommend a starting point for the pad to prop distance? I recently purchased my P2 w/ yamaha sho. I feel like when I'm trying to get on plane it takes longer than what it should. my previous boat was a 98' Triton TR20 w/ 200 Evinrude. i was able to floor the hot foot and get on plane. The person i bought the P2 from told me I couldn't floor the hot foot with the Yamaha Sho because i would create a cavitation and prop would spin out. So he told me to press the hot foot slowly till I get on plane. The engine checks out perfect. It is mainly the set up on the motor. I guess I'm just very used to flooring the hot foot to get on plane. What can I do to improve getting on plane faster? Thank you for your time.

2. Member
    You should be able to floor a hot foot to get on plane. I never heard of such a thing unless the prop is either too low a pitch and spins up to quick or the engine is set way too high and the prop is blowing out. Have you tried flooring it so to speak?
    Brad Krone

3. Member
    BassCatBrad:

I haven't tried flooring it. I noticed if I start pressing on the hot foot to fast the engine (lower unit) starts sounding like it sucking air instead of water, that is the cavitation that its creating. I was told if dont ease up on the hot foot once I hear that the prop can blow out. I do feel like the engine is sitting up too high. I was told by a Yamaha SHO owner (he had a Phoenix boat) that I might try lowering the engine 1/4" maybe that will help

4. Member
    I would definitely try lowering the engine 1/4" at a time. Also what prop are you running? If it's a mercury prop try plugging the vent holes a little. For example I have a 2018 PII with a 2 stroke 200hp ProXS. I had the prop worked by Ronnie Gilbert, he told me to raise mine engine 1/4” from the factory settings. I also have two talons on the back so I'm a bit heavy, but I floor my hotfoot and the boat jumps up out of the hole. 0-65mph is extremely fast.
    Brad Krone

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luis.ati View Post
    BassCatBrad:

I haven't tried flooring it. I noticed if I start pressing on the hot foot to fast the engine (lower unit) starts sounding like it sucking air instead of water, that is the cavitation that its creating. I was told if dont ease up on the hot foot once I hear that the prop can blow out. I do feel like the engine is sitting up too high. I was told by a Yamaha SHO owner (he had a Phoenix boat) that I might try lowering the engine 1/4" maybe that will help
    Your headed in the right direction by lowering the motor. Next is what type of prop? This is an engine height/prop issue. Not a boat.
    Depending on prop type, you may need to add plugs to control cavitation.

With that SHO, you should be able to fly out the hole and accelerate to 65 mph faster than anyone else out there. As stated above, the PII is a rocket with the 200 regardless of brand engine.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Your headed in the right direction by lowering the motor. Next is what type of prop? This is an engine height/prop issue. Not a boat.
    Depending on prop type, you may need to add plugs to control cavitation.

With that SHO, you should be able to fly out the hole and accelerate to 65 mph faster than anyone else out there. As stated above, the PII is a rocket with the 200 regardless of brand engine.

Don
    The boat has the Yamaha prop 25p. I'm getting a level tomorrow, to level the boat and engine, to get a more accurate prop/pad height, but by just eye balling and leveling the pad and motor to the ground. i measured at 1-1/4" difference. If that number is correct or close to it I'm definitely lowering the engine. I've been reading that most Bass cat recommended prop/pad height should start out at 3-1/2".

Yes I want to be able to improve my hole shot.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    I would definitely try lowering the engine 1/4" at a time. Also what prop are you running? If it's a mercury prop try plugging the vent holes a little. For example I have a 2018 PII with a 2 stroke 200hp ProXS. I had the prop worked by Ronnie Gilbert, he told me to raise mine engine 1/4” from the factory settings. I also have two talons on the back so I'm a bit heavy, but I floor my hotfoot and the boat jumps up out of the hole. 0-65mph is extremely fast.
    I currently have a Yamaha prop 25P. Yes I'm going to level the boat and engine tomorrow and get a more accurate measurement. Today I eyeballed leveling the boat and engine and i measured the prop/pad height and it was 1-1/4" difference. If this is accurate or close to it, i lowering the engine to 3-1/2". I've found in a couple other forums that is standard height for most Bass Cat. I want to be able to have a fast hole shot.

8. Member
    I currently have a Yamaha prop 25P. Yes I'm going to level the boat and engine tomorrow and get a more accurate measurement. Today I eyeballed leveling the boat and engine and i measured the prop/pad height and it was 1-1/4" difference. If this is accurate or close to it, i lowering the engine to 3-1/2". I've found in a couple other forums that is standard height for most Bass Cat. I want to be able to have a fast hole shot.
    I have a 2013 P2 with the SHO. My current prop is a 25 Fury. The number you provided probably isn't accurate; it should be 3.5" to 3.75". Every boat is different; you must take that into consideration. Weight, how it is loaded, etc. But getting on pad is not a problem of this boat. Just try working with the setup (lowering engine) and see how that goes. This hull and Basscats in general like the prop much lower than the Triton you had. If I remember correctly, my old Triton was about 2.5" prop to pad. I have never seen a Cat set that high.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    I have a 2013 P2 with the SHO. My current prop is a 25 Fury. The number you provided probably isn't accurate; it should be 3.5" to 3.75". Every boat is different; you must take that into consideration. Weight, how it is loaded, etc. But getting on pad is not a problem of this boat. Just try working with the setup (lowering engine) and see how that goes. This hull and Basscats in general like the prop much lower than the Triton you had. If I remember correctly, my old Triton was about 2.5" prop to pad. I have never seen a Cat set that high.
    I lowered the motor to about to have a pad/prop height of 3.5" inches. I leveled the boat and engine and the pad/prop distance was at 1.75". I'll be taking the boat out later today to test drive it at 3.5" pad/prop height. hopefully that will help a little more. Thank you for your info.

10. Member
    I lowered the motor to about to have a pad/prop height of 3.5" inches. I leveled the boat and engine and the pad/prop distance was at 1.75". I'll be taking the boat out later today to test drive it at 3.5" pad/prop height. hopefully that will help a little more. Thank you for your info.
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    The hole shot improved by far. I still haven't pushed the speed on it much. I've gotten up to 65mph, but that is with about 75% or so on throttle and still have playing room with trim. I'm still trying to get used to driving the boat since i just got it 2 weeks ago and drives completely different from my old Triton.Thanks everybody for your help and input. I really appreciate it.

12. Member
    Cats don’t like much trim. Throttle up and then trim a bit at a time until you find that sweet spot.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by george liles View Post
    Cats don’t like much trim. Throttle up and then trim a bit at a time until you find that sweet spot.
    I figured out what my boat like. Took a couple outings, but I found what the boat likes.