Another Helix 7 question....

So i thought i would update on my last post first. I think i got the sonar issues sorted. The new transducer combined with another new y cable and software 2.28 seems to have sorted the unit nicely. I was away on vacation last week and used it daily it works great. I posted some pictures below of the types of returns i am seeing, curious to see comments on those.

On to my question. I'm looking to change the digital data overlays and i cannot seem to find temp anywhere as an item i can display with 2.28 loaded. I have two temp sensors, one in the SI transducer and an external one that is a part of the new HW thru hull transducer i just installed. I looked in the manual and it says to change the digital data to box mode and you can adjust the settings from there. I do that and when i look at the available items for each box temp does not show up in there. The funny thing is when i move to big digits view i see temp there so i know the sensor is working. Is this something they changed with the software version 2.28? I remember when i came out of the box i was able to get temp so show up so it would seem to be so, i would just like to confirm. Also is there a way to change the items if you are using overlay mode and not boxes? I personally prefer the overlay mode but it seems like no matter how i set it in box mode overlay is always the same. I have tried eliminating the y cable and the same either transducer. Thoughts?

Here are some sample pics. The lake i was on last week is deep, very rocky and loaded with trout and salmon and baitfish.

SI view of an area that had nothing but hard bottom and then turns to rock.

2d and DI view of a rock with markings that look like fish around it.

A 2D of an area with a lot of fish markings.

Software glitch with the G3/G3N. No Temp on the overlay and no Temp choice for the boxes.

You cannot edit the overlay readouts anyway.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne, that is what i suspected. I am sure they will fix it soon. Too bad they don't allow you to change the readouts on overlay like they did on the older units. I have no issue changing them on my 798si.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Thanks Wayne, that is what i suspected. I am sure they will fix it soon. Too bad they don't allow you to change the readouts on overlay like they did on the older units. I have no issue changing them on my 798si.
    Never could change the overlay readouts on any unit, just the boxes. The 798 did not have overlay readouts, just boxes on different parts of the view, my first SI unit was a 798ci SI Combo. The 800 and 900 series got a software update to have overlay readouts on the SI view only, but they were not customizable=unit setting SI Readouts.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Yes, the 798 is kind of a hybird of boxes and overlays but the nice thing is the boxes are clear vs the helix where they are grey and obscure the picture behind them. I prefer the old 798 look a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Yes, the 798 is kind of a hybird of boxes and overlays but the nice thing is the boxes are clear vs the helix where they are grey and obscure the picture behind them. I prefer the old 798 look a lot more.
    The only time the 798 boxes were transparent is when the 2D view was behind them:

Other views had solid boxes:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL