2015 Z7 Trailer Bunk Question

Time to replace the bunks on my 2015 Z7, plan on going with gatorbaks.

Measuring the boards and the outer bunks are 55", not a nice even 48" or 60". The inner bunks are 8' even. The question is will it hurt to just go with a 5 foot bunk on the outside? That is the smallest size sold by gatorbak and I'd rather just be able to install rather than having to trim them somehow.

2. Member
    I doubt it would hurt as long as the extra 5" is towards the front of the boat, but trimming the Gatorbaks is really easy with a sharp utility knife.

3. Member
    Will be fine, that is what I did!

4. Member
    I don't know, Dean. You might as well cut the boards to 55". The 5' Gatorbaks I received were actually about 63". My 8 footers were also a few inches longer. So whatever way you look at it, you'll most likely be trimming,

5. Member
    Thanks guy, follow up.... Did you bolt through or screw up into the bunk from the bottom like they come from the factory? Also board type? I'm thinking cedar rather than pressure treated. Gatorbak's will be here tomorrow and I'll probably photo document for fun.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Thanks guy, follow up.... Did you bolt through or screw up into the bunk from the bottom like they come from the factory? Also board type? I'm thinking cedar rather than pressure treated. Gatorbak's will be here tomorrow and I'll probably photo document for fun.
    I predrilled and used stainless lags and washers similar to the way it was prior to Gatorbaks. I looked into using redwood or cedar. I was also going to countersink carriage bolts and go from the top down. In the end, treated wood and stainless lags was the way I went. Ultimately, I did not see any real advantage to going with anything other than treated lumber and lags. (I am well known around these parts for over building everything I do.) The treated boards with Gatorbaks should last a long time considering there will be no soaking-wet carpet 24/7. There really is no need to do anything more than let your treated wood dry out for a few weeks. Even then, I don't think it will matter much. I have been running Gatorbaks for a couple months and use my boat often. I was just out yesterday and my boards are bone dry right now. In fact, the boards were probably dry before I got home which is a twenty-minute drive.