Thread: Rural Internet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stinnettjn1

Rural Internet

Currently the only options I have are dial-up or a MiFi Hotspot from Verizon. Dial up is not an option. The MiFi only has 15 GB per month before throttling. I've researched Viastat and Hughes Net satellite options but they have mixed reviews. Do any of you have a better alternative or opinion of the above mention satellite options?

My wife and I both could potentially work from home on any given day. Want the kids to have the ability to stream also.

2. Banned
    Any line of sight options in your area ? Otherwise I would wait for starlink https://www.starlink.com/ to start up before I would do a 2 year contract with anyone else.

3. Member
    Check in to Fire Wifi. Runs off of cellular and is unlimited. I have that for my RV in West Texas. Works great for streaming TV and anything I need.

4. Member
    Federal government awarding 16 billion for rural internet in November. This will go to underserved areas

5. Stinnettjn1
    Great replies! Glad there are other options out there. I don't want to enter a service contract. I'll look I to these.

6. Member
    Don't do hughesnet ,daughter and sol had it we had it constant buffering on movies or trying to watch utube . couldn't watch bassmaster live and price started at 70 a/month ended at 105 . dropped as soon as contract expired .Sol tried to use it for work at home they broke contract and now he goes into work early to do all their personal stuff

7. Member
    stay far away from hughes net. We use UbiFi and it works pretty well.

Great topic... Quick question do you have any issues with Fire WiFi and the 200GB in a months time then being throttled?

Is there a strong AT&T cell signal in your area? You can use an Ipad imei in a cellular modem/hotspot and get unlimited data that way for $29.99 a month if so..
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM

10. Stinnettjn1
    I came across "Unlimitedville" and have ordered it. It supposedly uses cell signal and is not throttled. Kind of expensive but I will get way more data each month that my current Verizon Hotspot. I will be pulling from a T-Mobile tower with 5G. If it doesn't work I have 14 days to return it for a full refund. Then I'll try something else suggested above.

following
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

12. Member
    I live in a rule area of AZ up in the mountains 20 miles to town. I have Dish for TV & Internet about $150. a month for more than basic TV & a 50/50 internet. The 50/50 plan is for 50 gigs anytime 8am to 12pm and 50 gigs bonus 12pm to 8am. I am happy with the tv and internet works great unless there is a storm. But I don't stream movies at all it is slow (buffing) and worthless, plus 50/50 is not enough if you plan to stream. They have been trying to get me to switch Hughes for years. The one thing I do like I can call them ever year or so and beat them up for a discount that has been as much as 40 per month for 10 months before.

We live in a hole where we cant get anything. Have to use ATThotspot, 15 gig per line, usually run out.
    ATT fiberoptic is 3/4 of a mile from.our house and cant get it.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    Check in to Fire Wifi. Runs off of cellular and is unlimited. I have that for my RV in West Texas. Works great for streaming TV and anything I need.
    How many bars do you normally have on your phone out there? We usually have 2 and wonder how that would work here.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    How many bars do you normally have on your phone out there? We usually have 2 and wonder how that would work here.
    4 bars. Runs at around 95lb.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    We live in a hole where we cant get anything. Have to use ATThotspot, 15 gig per line, usually run out.
    ATT fiberoptic is 3/4 of a mile from.our house and cant get it.
    I've got Centurytel fiber running through my yard and can't get it....paid for as part of the government "rural" broadband money.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

My cell signal isn't great, looked at getting a booster. For those that use a cell hotspot does that work okay for you? I'm on DSL, and think modem dial-up was faster.

18. Member
    We use a Verizon mifi and it works pretty good. We can watch live tv with it.

19. Member
    I have att phones and direct tv. Last month i got what's called a fixed wireless plan. And it does work off of a tower, couple of very small weather issues but it's worked flawless. Something like a 100 gigs of HD streaming then cuts down a little for non HD. I don't use 100 per month. Cost is $60 bucks per month. They came and installed a small dish on side of house. Been working very well.

Quote Originally Posted by back_lash View Post
    My cell signal isn't great, looked at getting a booster. For those that use a cell hotspot does that work okay for you? I'm on DSL, and think modem dial-up was faster.
    The hotspot works good but they throttle it back after 15 gig and you might as well turn it off because its worthless.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast