Updated to 2.28 on Helix MSI G3 -- Attempted required map update

On Saturday, I totally re-rigged 21 PHX electronics. I installed two Helix 10 MSI GN3 at bow & console & moved one Garmin Echomap Ultra 126sv from the bow to the console. I installed the HB Transducer & removed the Garmin from the transom. Installed my Mega 360 on the Ultrex & wrapped things up after a long day. The two birds needed software updates to even recognize the HB Mega360. When downloading the updates, the site expressly states that you MUST download the new basemaps for the unit.

Installed the 2.28 without a hitch. I then followed the directions to download the 5GB basemap files onto 32GB SD card. I tried this twice, both times it stopped at about 87% and stopped stating it could not complete the download. I then tried twice successfully to download it to the PC hard drive. I then tried to copy the 5GB file to the 32GB SD card after formatting the card to clean it off. When I copied and tried to paste the file, I got the message, not enough space on SD CARD. Operation could not be completed. I reformatted the card & tried again .... same results. So now I have no basemaps on both my 126sv's.

Anyone have any answers for this issue. The file is on the HD in a zip format. I have tried to copy as zip & have unzipped with 7-Zip. In either case it says the 32gb SD card does not have enough space. Going to contact HB tomorrow if I can work it in the schedule.
    Richard Viehe
    CRV Communications, Inc, President
    Authorized Bluewater LED Dealer
    Indpls., IN

Career Firefighter/Paramedic, Retired
    Carmel FD, IN

2020 Phoenix 21 PHX
    4 Stroke 250 Pro XS
    Console: Humminbird 12” Solix MSI G3, Garmin 126sv
    Bow: Humminbird 12” MEGA SI, Mega360, Garmin 122sv
    Livescope LVS34
    36V Ghost
    Dual 8' Blade Power Poles

2. Member
    The files must be unzipped and on the root of the SD card. Sounds like your card is either faulty or a fake. If you got it off amazon I’d lean towards being a fake. Companies have been selling counterfeits for years. They’ll list them as 128GB or whatever when they really only have 1GB.

I’d try another SD card from a local retailer.

The zip file shouldn’t even start to copy over as it’s over the 4GB FAT32 file size limit.
    Last edited by Cerus; 08-11-2020 at 12:39 AM.

3. Member
    I just ordered the update and base map card from Humminbird. It was less than $30.00 and saved me a lot of time configuring and downloading an SD card. A blank 128 GB would cost around $20.00 anyway. The update and map installation was on one card and the update and base map was installed without a hitch. It was worth a little extra money for me to order the update and base map directly from Humminbird.

4. Member
    I tried multiple 32GB sd cards with new formatting. I actually purchased these at Best Buys, so they should be good. they worked to do the 2.28 update. Guess I will take your advice & order it from HB today. Thanks .... Rick
    Richard Viehe
    CRV Communications, Inc, President
    Authorized Bluewater LED Dealer
    Indpls., IN

Career Firefighter/Paramedic, Retired
    Carmel FD, IN

2020 Phoenix 21 PHX
    4 Stroke 250 Pro XS
    Console: Humminbird 12” Solix MSI G3, Garmin 126sv
    Bow: Humminbird 12” MEGA SI, Mega360, Garmin 122sv
    Livescope LVS34
    36V Ghost
    Dual 8' Blade Power Poles

5. Member
    You do need to give the map plenty of time to update. The software update took only a few seconds but the map portion took a lot of time to load.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I just ordered the update and base map card from Humminbird. It was less than $30.00 and saved me a lot of time configuring and downloading an SD card. A blank 128 GB would cost around $20.00 anyway. The update and map installation was on one card and the update and base map was installed without a hitch. It was worth a little extra money for me to order the update and base map directly from Humminbird.
    How did you do that ? I looked at the Humminbird site and could not find a card with the update for sale.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by km9e View Post
    I tried multiple 32GB sd cards with new formatting. I actually purchased these at Best Buys, so they should be good. they worked to do the 2.28 update. Guess I will take your advice & order it from HB today. Thanks .... Rick
    Doesn’t sound like the card is the problem then. Shouldn’t have to order one from HB. You made sure to unzip the file and then transfer the 6 (iirc) individual files to the SD card?

8. Member
    You have to call them to get that card.

Are you unzipping them on your computer first, then copying the files?

You could also right click on the sd card in windows explorer, then select properties to see the space available on the card.