Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Thumbs down Rubrail, Easy fix????

Was at the local river this weekend and it was nothing but a SHIT show at the landing/dock. Dock is on the channel of large river, and everyone is skiing, tubing, boat riding, etc. plus all the *******s that done have ramp etiquette....just tied up to dock when the waves come in and put boat up against dock and rested on the rubrail..... was trying to push it back down when it came out the screw and i figured it wasnt gonna be fixed cause the screw was acutally bent upwards.....

So is the only way to fix this is to take the rubrail off, new screw and put back????? Whats the best way to remove the rail???

Before i tried to push rubrail back not knowing screw was bent.

As i was trying to "push and pull", i pulled screw out of rubrail. Tried to push RR back on screw but couldnt get it to go.....may didnt try hard enough...

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    Just pull the insert out of the rub rail and take the screws out that are pulled thru. The rub rail is soft and a drill can drive a screw thru it very easy plus if you put to much tension on it with a screw you will see the warping of the rub rail. So take those screws out and go easy putting them back in. I would recommend some 3m 4200 on them to keep them from backing out. You can get stainless screws from lowes if you need a few. If your going to add more just drill a pilot hole first.

3. Member
    Yeah nothing to them, take cap off in back and pull insert out/ I would do this on my old boats to clean them up once in awhile. I replaced the entire rubrail and insert on a javelin once and it looked like a new boat afterwards. Nothing to it.

4. Member
    The hardest part was putting some 4200 around bottom when done

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    when I installed my RubRail lights I removed every screw and used a counter sink on the plastic stiffner and put 4200 on everyone, have to watch that 4200 will get messy after a few screws
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    All great advice above. I find myself having to pull the insert out and adding 4200 to random screws than start backing out a few times a year. You will have to cut the insert down each time you pull it out and push it back as it stretches.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    So do you "slide" or "pull" rail out? How does it go back in? Are there grooves? Trying to understand before it work on it.....

8. Member
    The center rail portion pops out, to give access to the screws. More of a pull out. To put back in I used a gentle tap with a smaller wooden maul, or a smaller plastic hammer.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    ^^^^Ok, that's more of the info i needed.....

10. Member
    You can carefully put a small flat between the fixed portion and rubber center to pop it out to start with. Then carefully pull more out as you need it. Not a bad thing to know how to do, and each season I look for any places where it is bulging indicating that a screw has come loose and pushing the rub rail center out a bit.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well that was pretty easy......got it fix this evening.....had 3 screws that were bent, got them replaced.....The portion of rub rail that comes out was nothing like it was thinking.....though it was connected to the other piece thru channels. This was basically a rubber tube stuffed in there......

12. Member
    Yea, it's not to bad.