Wacky Rig spinning Rod/Reel combo

I have a Daiwa E6X Spinning Rod and a Daiwa LT2500 Reel. Medium action and Fast tip i believe. Anyways, i currently have 30 Lb Power Pro braid with a Fluoro leader on this set up. My buddy let me use his wacky rig set up, and his was spooled with 10 lb Mono, and his seems to cast and just work better than my set up. Does straight Mono make that big of a difference, compared to Braid with a fluoro leader? I did some research and everyone has a different theory. Some say Braid/Fluoro, some say straight fluoro and some say Mono. His set up seemed to work better when we were casting a weedless wacky rig into lillypads. I use the wacky rigged senko in open water as well as lilypads and etc so looking for a good all around line. Remember this is on a spinning rod/Reel combo.

I'd suggest lighter braid, for a start. I've got 20 on the one combo that I use in reedbeds, with a 10 lb copolymer leader, 5" Dinger or Trick Worm with a 2/0 or 3/0 EWG.

Do you actually catch many fish out of lily pad fields? I used to attempt that, and found it to be a poor bet and generally a waste of time to fish anything but the edges or something unusual, like a post, piling, log, or a bare opening.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

3. Member
    I prefer wacky rigging with baitcasting gear and 17# mono. With a spinning setup I have used 8# mono. Lotta guys throw braid/ floro deal. I try to keep it simple... No leaders or extra knots. I plan on a set up next year with 10# fireline. Spinning... No leader. Walleye guys use this alot.
    Straight braid around the pads. I don't like floro for wacky stuff because it sinks. I like the mono on top to help see strikes. Find a set up your comfortable with and just start heaving it out there!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Do you actually catch many fish out of lily pad fields? I used to attempt that, and found it to be a poor bet and generally a waste of time to fish anything but the edges .
    Not OP, but fish the same type areas. I'll get prespawners only in spatterdock fields (they're just coming up then). If the growth is heavy enough, I do good throwing a T-rig worm to the thickest part of dollar pad fields. Up here, those little pads usually indicate a bottom composition change from sand/gravel to small rock. Regular lilys are an edge deal for me. Water Shield (the slimy oval ones) will hold fish good some days. Not much emergent veg up here, so anytime it's thick enough, it's worth checking out.

5. Member
    Depends on the cover, presentation but typically I use 12# SX1 braid with 8-10 lb FC leader.

6. Member
    So maybe i will try a smaller lb test braid like was suggested. Maybe like 10 lb test braid and an 8 lb test fluoro leader. Worth a shot. Thanks.

I'd suggest lighter braid, for a start. I've got 20 on the one combo that I use in reedbeds, with a 10 lb copolymer leader, 5" Dinger or Trick Worm with a 2/0 or 3/0 EWG. I noticed that I didn't state that I rig them nose hooked with an EWG type, and not wacky rigged. The idea is to float the hook through the tops of the reeds, which are often broken off at maybe 6" above the surface of the water.

Do you actually catch many fish out of lily pad fields? I used to attempt that, and found it to be a poor bet and generally a waste of time to fish anything but the edges or something unusual, like a post, piling, log, or a bare opening (rock or ?). We do occasionally find fish in sparse "dollar pads", but how thick would determine what I'd throw in there. Wacky'd Dinger or Senko-type would be one choice. My "Dumb Bass Rig" with a Trick Worm might work better in denser pads. Sort of a combination of a Texas rig and Neko rig. A 3/0 Trokar EWG in the head of the worm, and a #6 x 1.25" decking screw or Neko weight in the tail end. It works and is really hard to get hung up with the hook floating. 20 lb braid, straight to the hook. Also excellent in rip-rap.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

8. Member
    I also prefer a baitcaster with senko style baits . 15-17 floro no issues .Try 8-10 lb test here and you will be heartbroken. I dont think i would ever used a spinning rod for them, unless you are into skipping them.

9. Member
    I use 10lb Maxima Ultra Green on my dock skipping spinning rod but I Texas rig my Senkos for that. There's zebra mussels in a lot of the lakes I fish and mono holds up better around dock pilings than braid. That being said, braid with a leader casts better on a spinning reel and is more manageable than mono 10 out of 10 times.

10. Member
    I use a bait casting equipment for wacky rigging and Neko Rigging. I just don't understand using spinning gear for these techniques unless your using 6lbs test in GIN clear water.

11. Member
    I use 17# mono in gin clear water and catch very good numbers of bass.

12. Member
    I use high vis yellow 10lb braid to a 10lb mono leader I see most of my bites right away and rarely hook one deeply.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    I use high vis yellow 10lb braid to a 10lb mono leader I see most of my bites right away and rarely hook one deeply.
    My wife is a wacky rig pro! 10# braid...no leader. 6'6" BPS Carbonlite medium/medium with a Diawa Fuego 2500. Only uses Yamamoto Senko