Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

speed bleeders ??? do they work

i have a 2005 ranger trailer,i need to bleed the brakes. i have always used a mighty vac but i hear the speed bleeders work real easy for one person to use,thanks

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

3. Member
    You talking about a power bleeder? I know they work well on a car other than they are really wasteful with the fluid as you have to fill the tank of the bleeder to a minimum level. Probably not worth the cost for such an occasional job for a man that owns only one boat.

4. Member
    I have never tried speed bleeders, at least the type that replace the bleed screw.

I have used this plenty on my motorcycles as well as my boat trailer and it works great.
    https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0143

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I have never tried speed bleeders, at least the type that replace the bleed screw.

I have used this plenty on my motorcycles as well as my boat trailer and it works great.
    https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0143
    right i am asking bout the one that replaces the bleed screw

Personally i would be weary of them. How reliable are the springs that seal the bearing check valve over time? How do they react to hot/cold...repeat submerged in water. Automotive get splashed on, trailers submerged. Different metals expand and contract at different rates. my opinion great idea...i'll pass.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

I use a vacuum bleeder. I replace the fluid at the beginning of the season 15 min. Job as long as I have someone pouring the brake Fluid in. I do my vehicles also.

8. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    just use a piece of clear hose into an empty water bottle w/hole drilled in cap

end of hose to remain submerged in bottle; works the same afa not letting air back up into bleeder

cheap, easy, disposible (you still need bottle/hose w/speed bleeders)

9. Member
    They worked well on my 2500HD, until I lost them in the Empire of Dirt here.

10. Member
    I have installed them on every trailer with brakes that I have owned.

Fastest, easiest, and almost foolproof single man bleed job ever.

Just get a funnel and trim to fit tight in your master cylinder grommet and bungee down to hold the funnel tight.

Crack a speeder breeder, add the silicone tubing and jar, fill the funnel and pump away at the master cylinder.

If you have questions on sizing just give Whitney a call and she can help determine what you need.

Good Luck
    Last edited by MikeF; 08-11-2020 at 03:27 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    I have installed them on every trailer with brakes that I have owned.

Fastest, easiest, and almost foolproof single man bleed job ever.

Just get a funnel and trim to fit tight in your master cylinder grommet and bungee down to hold the funnel tight.

Crack a speeder breeder, add the silicone tubing and jar, fill the funnel and pump away at the master cylinder.

If you have questions on sizing just give Whitney a call and she can help determine what you need.

Good Luck
    thanks for the reply who is Whitney

12. Member
    Whitney owns/runs (not sure) Speedbleeders.

Although not list by manuf. for boat trailers on the web site, if you are unsure of the size you need for your brand caliper, she can probably tell what size you need to order.

13. Member
    I tried a pneumatic brake fluid bleeder with minimal success. Finished the job manually, used some tubing and a clear pop bottle.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Whitney owns/runs (not sure) Speedbleeders.

Although not list by manuf. for boat trailers on the web site, if you are unsure of the size you need for your brand caliper, she can probably tell what size you need to order.
    i tried to reach her for a week,calls,emails and never heard back from her

15. Member
    i tried to reach her for a week,calls,emails and never heard back from her
    Huh?

Sorry, I do not know.

Vacation maybe?

Just checked my records and I talked to her on the morning of July 6th(Monday) to confirm a fitment size for a trailer caliper and then placed the order online.

Received an email that evening that my order had shipped out that afternoon and received my order on July 9th (Thursday).Shipped USPS.

16. Member
    i come with a sb71620 its 7/16 x 20 its going on a ranger 2004 with ufp calibers,was you putting them on a ranger trailer

17. Member
    Actually it is a 2004 EZ loader custom for a Skeeter.

No matter, all the trailers use either UFP, Dexter, Kodiak, which are all owned by Dexter now anyway.

The original brakes were DB42 UFP and I changed them out to a Kodiak system and they use a different bleeder size than UFP.

If memory serves, 2004-05 was the switch over year for UFP so you may have the older DB42 or the newer, current DB35 system.

Both UFP series use the 7/16- 20 bleeder I believe.

BBC member 4stroke just worked on his Ranger trailer and lists the SB71620 as the bleeder for both the older DB42 and the newer DB35 systems.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....leeder+SB71620

Good luck

18. Member
    thanks mikef for the help and information

19. Member
    when your done bleeding them with the speed bleeder, can you put the the older bleeder back in,with the way boat trailers draw moisture in the system i would think after a while it would cause the speed bleeder to get rusty and clog up,i assume you do one wheel at a time right

20. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by AlK View Post
    I tried a pneumatic brake fluid bleeder with minimal success. Finished the job manually, used some tubing and a clear pop bottle.
    I seem to do the best just manually pumping the master cylinder. Drop a funnel in the top of the reservoir, fill it with fluid, and pump away. My MarineMaster trailer was a real pain to get fixed. Had to add bleeders to each caliper. That was the only way to get brakes to apply on each wheel. I did start off with the vacuum bleeder to get most of the air out, but the finish bleed was using the master cylinder.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast