A little guidance on Hartwell please

Hey fellas,
    My wife, kids and I are renting a lake house on Hartwell later this week and i was hoping a couple of you gentlemen could give me some ideas on catching a few bass. Not looking for secret spots or lures just some general info that could start me off. This will be my first time on Hartwell.

we’re staying up the Tugaloo river near Tugaloo state park. I don't mind trailering a little ways if needed. Thinking about spending at least one day on the main lake.

feel free to drop me a pm if you don't want to put it out there for everyone to see.

Thanks in advance and hope to see some of yall up there!
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    This is a really tough time to be bass fishing at hartwell right now. Friends that live there have gone all day with 1-2 bites. My go to is a drop shot on the brush in 20-30 ft, but given the reports, this may result in poor results as well.

3. Member
    It's tough. I fished last Friday morning for 6 bites on the main lake, and zero landed.
    I fished Saturday morning in creeks with a small crankbait and caught about 15. Once the sun came up, they were hitting crankbaits fished under the shady side of docks. Move fast and cover a lot of docks. Most of them small, but there were some over 2 lbs, and one big one that came off on 3rd jump.
    It is very tough right now.

4. Member
    Thanks yall for the advice! Ill certainly give it a try.

I got to go out today for about an hour. Didn't have any luck. I plan on spending all day tomorrow fishing or at least until the heat runs me off.

Watch out for bull sharks...GOOD LUCK!

https://channel24news.com/2017/07/bu...lake-hartwell/
    Last edited by 06 SB; 08-13-2020 at 08:17 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Watch out for bull sharks...GOOD LUCK!

https://channel24news.com/2017/07/bu...lake-hartwell/
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

7. Member
    I read where last year's federation nation was won on cane piles. I live in texas and we have brush piles that are planted by fisherman. But I am not familiar with the term cane pile. Can someone clear that up for me? thanks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    I read where last year's federation nation was won on cane piles. I live in texas and we have brush piles that are planted by fisherman. But I am not familiar with the term cane pile. Can someone clear that up for me? thanks
    Basically a brush pile but instead of some type of wood cane is used

9. Member
    Thanks

10. Member
    Plus cane is harder to spot with electronics.

11. Member
    I ended up catching a few spots on our trip. Never left the Tugaloo. Saw a few fish busting bait.

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    I’ve seen them more on lakes that have a lot of bait. The bushy part is way off the bottom so it attracts suspended bait and bass. Lake Murray has a ton.