Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Get ready for food prices to skyrocket, especially meat.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I don’t remember the year 90’s 2000’s. I was westbound on I-80 in Iowa and guys were talking about really strong winds moving East. I had a set of empties, I jumped off the interstate and turned on the road under the interstate and sat under the interstate. After it past and I got back on the interstate lot of rigs laid over. They weren’t empty either.
    That may have been 93. Remember listening to the radio as it moved west to east across the state. Very high straightline winds for hundreds of miles. Downed trees and farm building. Remember driving west along I80 after. So many tress down. Very large trees uprooted

3. Member
    Will all that flattened corn qualify as baiting if left in the field? How the heck do you clean that up?

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Will all that flattened corn qualify as baiting if left in the field? How the heck do you clean that up?
    A few years ago we had a bunch of corn blown over here. There is an attachment that was put on the front of combines that stood it up as it was harvested or cut. I'm not sure if they'll be able to use that again this time of year or not, though.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    A few years ago we had a bunch of corn blown over here. There is an attachment that was put on the front of combines that stood it up as it was harvested or cut. I'm not sure if they'll be able to use that again this time of year or not, though.
    The corn that hasn't green snapped might be somewhat salvageable, usually you but a reel on the corn head to help feed the lodged corn it...the ones I've used ''kinda" work but it's not fun.

6. Member
    Tomorrow will make three consecutive days without power. I’m not doing too bad but the wife is getting pretty testy!
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowabass3826 View Post
    Tomorrow will make three consecutive days without power. I’m not doing too bad but the wife is getting pretty testy!
    My mom is tired of cold water showers, she just turned 92 and she grew up in Kansas without running water. Not a hint of ice or food at the local grocery stores but I have a friend checking up on her and dad and bringing some ice over for the fridge (friend has a generator). At least its not 90+ F.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Turn cattle and hogs loose

Justfishing—— could have been. There were building parts, trees, hay, everything that wasn’t tied down, on the interstate

Quote Originally Posted by JTN View Post
    The corn that hasn't green snapped might be somewhat salvageable, usually you but a reel on the corn head to help feed the lodged corn it...the ones I've used ''kinda" work but it's not fun.
    The corn probably had another month or so before it was ready for harvest didn't it?

10. Member
    Sounds like the grain elevators took on major damage. Will be interesting to see what they do with the harvest beans in a month.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

11. Member
    Im in Eastern IA. Have never experienced a storm like this. Tore our town of 26k people up bad. 3 days no power. Could be into next week for our whole County to get service. I have a massive white pine on my roof now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    The corn probably had another month or so before it was ready for harvest didn't it?
    If a field is considered a total loss then I'd want to disc it under ASAP. Any surviving corn will just be sucking nutrients from the soil that might be of use in 2021. There is an excellent article in the Washington Post today about the storm and resulting damage.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...o-corn-damage/

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    depends on the location, we had a really wet spring here

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    depends on the location, we had a really wet spring here
    You are correct, it's pretty unusual to start harvesting corn prior to October 1 and plenty was planted in late May - although the heat units this summer have been impressive. I just looked at the power outage map for Iowa, hardly looks any different than it did on Monday evening and according to the Weather Channel 30 seconds ago, more than half the outages have yet to be restored in the midwest. This is certainly going to go into next week.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    You are correct, it's pretty unusual to start harvesting corn prior to October 1 and plenty was planted in late May - although the heat units this summer have been impressive. I just looked at the power outage map for Iowa, hardly looks any different than it did on Monday evening and according to the Weather Channel 30 seconds ago, more than half the outages have yet to be restored in the midwest. This is certainly going to go into next week.
    Didn't realize it was so much later up there. My cousins farm in Southeast Missouri and they typically start harvesting corn end of August. They usually have a couple fields cut before opening day of dove season and there have been years where they are almost done harvesting by September 1st.

16. Member
    I was hit by an f3 tornado in March and it did far less than these winds as I stood inside a grocery store in Cedar Rapids. Absolutely amazing power! Pray for those who won't recover for years!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123