Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NRX fisherman, please step inside

I have several NRX 873C rods, 8 in fact. I love this rod and use it for most all my bottom contact applications.
    Please do not recommend another rod or brand as I am not interested, but for the NRX lovers here I want to know what other rod NRX models you prefer and the application you use them for.

I will be buying another 8 or so and want to expand into different capabilities.

2. Member
    I have two 853's and love them for t-rigs and lighter jigs.That said I also have the 843 which is a very versatile rod.I use it for spinner baits, square bills,ploppers etc.You will have a lot of people singing the praises of the 893, 873 and the 894's . I don't have experience with either but I'm sure someone will chime in.
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 08-10-2020 at 04:47 PM.

3. Member
    895-frog,deep crankbaits, 1/2oz or heavier jig/ texas rig, carolina rig
    854-spinnerbaits,chatterbait(preferred the 873), 1/2oz under jig/trig
    803-jerkbaits,squarebills
    852s- dropshot,tubes,spybait,weightless senko,ned rig

I’ve got at least one of most of the casting models and doubles on a few. The 873 and the 893..my two favs. Your can do anything with them. I also love the 843 and 842 MB as well...very versatile...I’ll throw a big spinner bait on the 873..it’s a great rod for chunking a big spinner bait across a grass flat. 843 and 842 make awesome square bill and jackhammer rods respectively. Of course I flip with 894 and heavy Carolina rig with 895. I have a 916
    For the A-Rig. I’ll throw poppers and jerk baits on the 802. Wifey fishes 803 spinners for everything from drop shot to small cranks. I like to Trap with a 854...most wouldn’t..but you need to be able to rip out of the grass and the 854 gets it done. Any 3 power NRX makes a great bubba shot rod. I could go on an on.

5. Member
    822S DSR is the best drop shot rod on the market. I love my 852C, use it for senkos, flukes or any light-weight bait really. 893C is the next on my list to purchase.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

6. Member
    I will ad that I like to throw 6" Senko's and although I throw them on the 873, it is not ideal. The rod is a little too stiff in my opinion so if like Comrad above you have an NRX you like to use throwing Senko's, let me know.

Love the 894 for football jigs and big worms

8. Member
    They use to make an MBR 843 in NRX that was just a good all around rod for most techniques. Really like it for topwater, flukes, and light worming

The 894 is an excellent c-rig rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    They use to make an MBR 843 in NRX that was just a good all around rod for most techniques. Really like it for topwater, flukes, and light worming.
    You can now get the 843 MBR rod in the “conquest” line...only thing I don’t like is it’s not a split grip.

10. Member
    Im with ya on the 873, i have 3 and love it as a do everything rod for bottom contact. I also have 2 894’s. Not a better rod made for fishing 1/2 or 3/4 jigs imo. Im usually fishing them 8-20’ and generally around brush. It also doubles as my flipping rod as were usually pitching brush and not punching grass. The 872 is my favorite do all spinning rod with 852 being my choice if you want something a little stronger
    They aint got hands, set the hook

11. Banned
    I use 893 for 1/2 baits like beavers jigs etc on str8 braid
    894 for up to 1 oz straight braid or fluoro
    use 893 for chatterbait
    use 822 dsr for droppy
    use 852s for smallish baits like senkos, grubs,small swimbaits,

894, 893, and 873 are fantastic rods. Wish I could afford to have several of each on my deck.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    A pair of the SYR-822 shaky head rods and at least one of the DSR-822 drop shot rods for finesse stuff is a must. I also hear the 872 spin rod is special, but I’ve not fished one.

14. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    822s DSR - Dropshot. I don't think it has any real use for anything else.
    802c JWR - Poppers
    803c JWR - Flukes, UV Speed Worms
    804c JWR - Tx rigged plastics up to 1/2 oz
    893c JWR - Dragging 1/2 swingheads and Dark Sleepers around. I've used it for chatterbaits as someone once suggested on here and it's a pretty decent chatterbait rod. I've also used it to rip traps at Rayburn when in someone else's boat and I can't bring the complete arsenal with me. It's a very versatile rod if one likes extra fast tips (which I obviously do).
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

15. Member
    822 for drop shop
    822 for shaky head
    823 for shaky head
    894 for all purpose can use it for anything
    895 for heavy jigs
    852 great for jerk baits, shaky, fluke

16. Member
    894 - c-rig , football jigs, big worms

17. Member
    I just started switching from all Falcon Cara (still have them and use them) to G Loomis. My rundown is this:

NRX 894c Met MGL great for jigs up to 3/4
    NRX 853c Aldebaran MGL great for 1/2 jigs, T-rigs, Senkos
    GLX 844c Bantam MGL great for swim jigs, chatterbaits, and jigs up to.
    about 3/4.
    GLX 853c Curado 70 same as the NRX listed above but I bought that.
    combo for my wife
    Spinning
    NRX 872s Stella 3000Fj this rod does it all
    NRX 822s SYR Vanquish 3000 its the shakey head model I'm loving it.
    so far.

Next on the list is either 822s DSR or another 872s possibility a 852s, the 872s is amazing and I feel like the 822s SYR can suffice for a DS rod although the 822s DSR is the pinnacle of DS rods yet I don't want a one trick pony. But you never know I may get crazy and buy a Conquest spinning, casting, or both.For casting man I've got a lot of work to do compared to spinning but fishing Bull Shoals and Table Rock spinning gear is often in the hand. With that said definitely my next casting will be a 873c CRR with the new Metanium. After that I'll see what my needs are. I can't tell you how many Falcon Caras I have and will always keep but after them being outsourced overseas I have jumped into the Loomis realm and it is quite the adventure!!. At some point I need to get some IMX Pro crankbait rods. Gosh when will it end!!

18. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I may get some heart burn here...

I am an nrx fan. Huge. Got 20+ of them. The loves and the hates....

small to large here,

802 great Jerkbait rod, doubles as my top water with braid rod.
    852cloving these rod more and more. I fish a drop shot/Jerkbait on 10lb also can shakey head with this baitcast set up. I’m learning it’s much more versatile than I previously though. Up the line to 16lb and throw 1/4 oz spinnerbaits and 3.5 size swimbaits. This is also a great heavy cover drop shot rod with the 16 lb line
    852s I use this for most of my lighter than normal set ups 20lb braid and shakey head 1/8oz small worm. Also is a great wacky rod imo. Handle most light weight techniques better than the bait caster but plenty of ass even needed.
    853 my gosh great all purpose rod, I tend to use this for mostly for spinnerbaits and swim jigs, but can double for a great Texas rig ride with lighter line.
    854. Hell I got 6 of these. These are my flippin and pitching rods. I recommend no lighter than 20lb if you jerk hard... I break anything below on hooksets even in open water. 25lb shooter on swing heads and most pitching set ups, 20lb shooter for the more open water fishing like dragging a big worm.
    893- got many and this imo is more versatile than any other rod. I can drop line to 16 and fish small swimbaits, step up to 20 and it’s awesome for a bubba shot. This is my Carolina rig rod with 40lb braid, and my frog rod with 40lb braid. I can make a frog dance on this rod better than any other. Great for fishing bigger blades and longer casts, can work for big cranks in a pinch.
    894 (here’s the hate) I don’t care for this rod. I feel like it’s too tip heavy and I prefer my one and only dobyns champ extreme 795 flip to this rod. For open water I will not use this rod, although I hear tons of people say they love it for football jigs. I use my 893’s for up to 1oz there. I use this rod for two things, pitching bushes with heavy weights and Texas rigged tubes. It is my big stick so to speak and rigged with 30lb shooter.
    895 more hate. Again very tip heavy, didn’t find a good use for this rod, and it sits in my shop until hudd season. About the only thing it works decent at.

hope this helps, not sure exactly what your looking for, but if I had to say one rod to try, it would be the 852c. As I try it for more things I like it more and more. Accuracy with this rod is unbelievable with a 1/4 spinnerbait. Feel free to pm... I could go on and on for days on this topic

19. Member
    822 for drop shot
    853 for small jigs and T-rigs; has become my new favorite rod
    854 for medium jigs and T-rigs
    894 for jigs 3/8 to 5/8; could probably do 3/4 but I have a couple of other rods I use for those. By far the best jig rod I've owned though and the NRX I fish the most.

I don't own an 895, but have fished with one. I think it could be a good 3/4 ounce jig or punching rod

20. Member
    893 for 3/8 jigs or 1/2 finesse football jigs
    872s-Ned rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast