2000 Merc 225 Opti question

I am running a 2000 Merc 225 Opti on a Viper Cobra 201 with a Trophy prop. With any weight at all in the boat it's difficult to get onto plane. I smoothly take it up to 4,000 RPM and get about 13mph and it revs to 6k (continues to move at same speed, doesn't slow and doesn't increase) but will not get on plane.
    If I empty livewells and bilge I can "feather" it up onto plane but if there's any extra weight on the boat it's almost impossible to get on plane.
    I should mention that after leaving the boat ramp at the beginning of the day it's not AS bad as it is after fishing for several hours and running to a new spot.

I just got my prop back from being rebuilt thinking it could be prop slip and there was a minor separation in the prop hub but it's been completely rebuilt and is still doing this.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Anyone else experienced this issue?

2. Member
    might ask in prop section prob more info there ,BUT if you asking me keep it for a spare get a NEW 25 TEMPEST or a 24 FURY and roll on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If this is the small-hub Trophy, make sure you have a blowout-ring installed.

Moving thread to the 3L (Correct) Forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    What pitch prop? Did this prop ever perform adequately on this boat?
    I think Don is on to something..
    Last edited by Bob; 08-10-2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Additional comment

5. Member
    It is a Trophy Plus 4 blade 13 3/4 x 25 pitch, Merc 48-825942A47 25P

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Take a look at the prop- is there a gap of 1/4" + all the way around the prop (guessing that there is). If so... get a Blowout Ring and install it before you go to much more effort.

PVS plugs can't work properly with that big gap.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Take a look at the prop- is there a gap of 1/4" + all the way around the prop (guessing that there is). If so... get a Blowout Ring and install it before you go to much more effort.

PVS plugs can't work properly with that big gap.
    I think it's there?
    IMG_3455.jpg
    Last edited by Leftturninalq; 08-10-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: removed double photo.

8. Member
    You need a blowout ring.

^^^^^^ Yes sir or four solid plugs
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Thanks guys. I ordered a blowout ring and it'll be here this week. Will install and see what happens.