Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shift interrupt switch

1990 johnson200 gt j200stlese
    I'm confused with wiring on shift interrupt switch. 3 wires to switch, 1 to ground 2 plugged together. It can't be wired right. Switch is n/o makes on 1wire when you press button. Should it wire to power pack? Wiring diagram in manual is not clear to me. Thanks Jim

If they are connected to each other then that is not correct, I don't have that wiring diagram but i'm sure one of the old guys will have one they can post.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Is one of the two wires going into the power pack black/orange and the other black yellow? If so that is the added wire from the blocking diode and yes the ground is attach to the power pack stand off the same as the pack ground.

So, no diagram Fred?

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    To test if the switch is bad just unplug it?

6. Member
    Black to ground stud together with black from power pack 2 black/yellow plugged together attached with wire clip right below temp sensor. Looks factory but I can't see how it does anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jimm1951; 08-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Can you take a picture and post it?

8. Member
    Are you having a problem and think it could be the switch? You may have two black yellow wires at the switch, one wire will branch off to the power pack and the other will continue on to the wiring harness. this wire has the blocking diode in it probably before a connector.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 08-10-2020 at 09:28 PM.

9. Member
    Yes I have a problem with the shift switch. The 2 blk/yellow wires a connected together and the blk goes to ground so it doesn't do anything. What I really need is a wiring diagram. I need to connect black/yellow to power pack . Is that right ?

Yes, black and yellow hook to the pack.
    You should have two plugs, can you take a pic of the other one?

11. Member
    The picture I posted shows both blk/yellow plugged into each other.

One connector (Black and Yellow) should be connected to a connector outside the pack and the other connector (Black and yellow) should be inside the pack.
    Pop the pack up and see if you can find one or two single plugs.

The two under the pack will most likely be connected together.

14. Member
    Look around the top of the motor at the wiring harness and any wire coming from the pack. If you see two, one male and one female, with nothing plugged into them, this is where the switch wires plug into, unplug the wires coming from the switch, you will see that you have one male and one female, plug these into the two wires with nothing plugged into them. The wiring is made so you can't plug these together wrong. If you don't have any unplugged wires maybe the power head was changed complete with wiring harness and that motor did not have the shift switch. I hope this helps Or maybe the wiring harness plug and the pack plug are plugged together, Just an after thought.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 08-11-2020 at 06:50 AM.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    So, no diagram Fred?
    Sorry but no, lighting bolt hit the transformer in front of the house and lost power, modem and Dish Hopper. on cell phone for hot spot.

16. Member
    Thanks for the replies . Haven't opened up power pack yet I'm sure the wires connect inside. It's been this way since I've had it. 20 years. The problem I'm chasing is hard shift out of gear. Shifts into gear smooth. It might be idling a little higher than normal. Will no shift interrupt and slightly higher idle cause hard shift. This only happens in the water, shift's good on muffs with faster idle.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes possibly, I haven't worked on an open deck motor in many years and I can't find my manuals for that model. But from what I can remember, on that pack there are 3 black/yellow wires. On the shift switch the two black/yellows one is male and the other is female correct? If so you'll need to pop the pack off and check the black yellow wires. If I remember correctly they are wired in series so one from the switch connects inside the pack and the other connects outside the pack along with the black to ground on the pack.

18. Member
    Yes 2 blk/yellow 1 Male

1 female 1blk to ground. Been connected together since I've had it. What do you think about the hard shift? Never had a problem before.

19. Member
    Hey Jim, do you have an external control box? If so, the selector gear will wear and cause just the problem your having.

20. Member
    No I have a concealed mount. Handle is only thing visible. Cables seem to move freely. Shifts good when it's on muffs. Have disconnected cable's ,shifts good till you put it in the water strapped to the trailer it hangs up with or without cables connected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast