Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter Rain Bibs

Looking to buy a real good winter rain bibs, and was wanting some good ideas on what you guys have been using that works. I know there is alot out there , but I hate spending good money on a pair that does not work.

2. Airborne Lab Tech
    Stormr STRYKR series. That neoprene keeps you warm without having to wear a lot of clothes underneath. Plus it adds a little buoyancy if you were to fall overboard. Only downside is if it ain't cold you're gonna sweat.
    Airborne!

IDI gear gets my vote. I purchased a jacket and bib many years ago when I fished a winter power plant circuit. Warm and it will float you if you were to fall in. They are holding up great.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    Ive never had to wear a rainsuit in the winter.... Around here it just snows. Hehe.

5. Member
    I am sorry but the 100mph suit is all I need. If it is reel cold I wear sweatpants and a hoody under it but most times I just wear shorts under them. That keeps me good to about 30 in the mornings.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

6. Member
    Liking my Gill rain gear.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

7. Member
    I second the BPS 100 mph gear. It’s too hot for me on warm days and especially during the summer. I went and bought Simms Challenger gear because it was cooler. Heck, if you want to buy my BPS let me know. Practically new and haven’t worn in months
    2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi Limited
    Skeeter ZX225
    2 Lowrance 12” Carbons
    1 Lowrance 9” Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Yamaha 225/ Hydro Tec/ 25-T1 SHO prop/ 83mph
    2-8’ Power Poles
    12” Black Atlas Jack

Gill insulated are warm and toasty. Lacking in pockets. Simms are top notch and thin and light so they allow for good layering. I run simms, fisncee has the gill insulated and stays toasty and dry.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

9. Banned
    BPS Pro Qualifier or 100 MPH bibs are awesome.

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Never had a problem with my Guidewear and I fish till ice comes in may have to wear a little heavier sweatshirt and light coat under it but works well
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Never had a problem with my Guidewear and I fish till ice comes in may have to wear a little heavier sweatshirt and light coat under it but works well

Guidewear Lites here, and I'm a mite north of you! Mine are needing maintenance wash/spray too often, so I'm looking too.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

12. Member
    I was hoping to see some good things about the BPS 100. I have a little over 500 points on my Cabela's card that I wanted to use.

Thanks all, for the Responses.

13. Member
    I have experience with Guidewear and Simms Pro Dry. I would take the guidewear in the cold. I've fished in the high 20's with wind in it and was as warm as one could expect to be for the conditions. That being said my suit is older so the fabric may have changed some since.

14. Banned
    Not sure how cold it get for you down there but up here in Ontario I fish till mid November. I had a set of BPS 100mph rain gear and I used them till I but the boat away. All I did was layer up, good set of long underwear, good set of UA heat gear joggers. Same with the upper, insulated long sleeve, heat gear sweater, I used the liner for jacket and the jacket and I was comfortable in -5 and even bellow. I now had a carhartt rain suit and it works just as well. Just layer up, and if the day warms you can peel back. I also have a floater suit but it's a PITA and when/if it warms up I can just peel it off.

I have been wearing the Rivers West for the past 6 years or so and they are by far the best foul weather apparel set I have ever had.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    Looking to buy a real good winter rain bibs, and was wanting some good ideas on what you guys have been using that works. I know there is alot out there , but I hate spending good money on a pair that does not work.
    I know this may sound like a strange question but are you wanting rain protection for the wintertime or something to help with cold weather. The reason I ask is the overwhelming majority of the time people wear a rain suit in the winter it is for protection from cold and not rain. If your truly looking for rain protection in the wintertime then the BPS 100 MPH and Cabela's Guide Wear suits are both very popular......If warmth is you concern I prefer a set of Carhartt insulated bibs and insulated hooded jacket. The combination of brown duck material and the insulation they use is great protect when running down the lake at 60 mph in 40-50 degree weather. My wimpy ass is not running around on the lake under 45* so I can only attest to how they preform mid forties and up. My opinion is they are more flexible and easier to move around in than the BPS 100 mph suit I had. Plus they are easier to take on and off. They have excellent cold weather protection and can be worn for many other outdoor activities. For just plain rain protection I prefer Frogg Toggs because they are thin and you can wear them when its warm outside and not get as hot as if you were wearing one of the heavy duty suits like mentioned. Plus Frogg Toggs are thin enough I can comfortably get them over my Carhartt bibs and jacket if its cold out side and I need rain protection...I just wanted to throw that option out there.

17. Member
    I use a thin set of Frog Toggs from March-October and then the Gill FG2 October-March. I like the Frogs because I can just throw them on over whatever I'm wearing at the time and be dry. In the "winter" in Arizona though, I like the insulated Gills because I can wear them all day with just my thin thermal underwear and not worry about being cold or wet...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I know this may sound like a strange question but are you wanting rain protection for the wintertime or something to help with cold weather. The reason I ask is the overwhelming majority of the time people wear a rain suit in the winter it is for protection from cold and not rain. If your truly looking for rain protection in the wintertime then the BPS 100 MPH and Cabela's Guide Wear suits are both very popular......If warmth is you concern I prefer a set of Carhartt insulated bibs and insulated hooded jacket. The combination of brown duck material and the insulation they use is great protect when running down the lake at 60 mph in 40-50 degree weather. My wimpy ass is not running around on the lake under 45* so I can only attest to how they preform mid forties and up. My opinion is they are more flexible and easier to move around in than the BPS 100 mph suit I had. Plus they are easier to take on and off. They have excellent cold weather protection and can be worn for many other outdoor activities. For just plain rain protection I prefer Frogg Toggs because they are thin and you can wear them when its warm outside and not get as hot as if you were wearing one of the heavy duty suits like mentioned. Plus Frogg Toggs are thin enough I can comfortably get them over my Carhartt bibs and jacket if its cold out side and I need rain protection...I just wanted to throw that option out there.
    I agree. To keep warm some insulated coveralls can’t be beat. I use a good ski jacket and pants. Only problem is if you fall in without a PFD. If it’s raining and real cold I’ll stay home!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    We try to fish as much as we can down in your neck of the woods when the smallies light up, so it can get cold esp in the morn, where you got to defrost your seats to sit down. I have a good pair of Huk spring and summer bibs and a couple of thin rain jackets, but running Cumberland on a cold rainy and sometimes snowy day, rain running down your back is hard to recover from the older I get. I have some great Carhart bibs, but they sure ain't waterproof as I found out stabbing a wave last winter, I was lucky to have some extra clothes in the boat, my buddy, not so much, but he was warned.

20. Member
    Breaking my boat in on a COLD February morning with air temps in the low 30's made me glad to have my set of Guidewear thinsulated parka and bibs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast