2020 189 TRX Quality issues

Anybody out there with the same boat got some quality issues? So far I’ve lost the center cap to my steering wheel, emblems off the trailer, cracked gel coat in the bow area, multiple chips and dips in the fiberglass from the factory. Also had to take it in for the livewell pumps not working right from the factory. Got the boat in October of last year but hadn’t used it till this spring. 45 hours on the Merc 175 and that about the only thing I’m happy with about this boat.

2. Member
    I have had a few gripes on my 2020 189trx, although not the ones you are experiencing. My manual bilge did not work and one wheel was missing a trim piece. I fixed the bilge pump (not plugged in) and let my dealer know about the wheel trim. I too have really liked the Merc so far, but I have the 150. I like most everything about the boat, but I do think quality with White River Marine products can be spotty. I hate that you are having issues, and hope things get better.

3. Member
    I apologize for derailing your thread, but can you guys tell me how your boats run with the 150 and 175 4 stroke motors? Got a jack plate?

also, why did you select the 189 TRX over the 18 TRX

thx!
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

4. Member
    Price is why I selected it over the 18trx. I got a 6” manual jackplate and the 175 I get 62mph gps full fuel tourney load and two guys, while 1/2 tank and 2 guys I can get 65mph gps. If I could go back I’d get a Phoenix 618/818 over this. Super unstable boat in my opinion, side to side rock while driving and fishing is bad and storage is cumbersome in the center compartment and rear compartments.

5. Member
    I have a 2017 189trx with a few quality issues. The worst of which is all of the gel coat cracks. I've got cracks along the pinstripe on the top cap and several cracks inside the cockpit area around cooler and passenger rod storage. The Mercury 150 4S is by far the best thing about my boat.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    I apologize for derailing your thread, but can you guys tell me how your boats run with the 150 and 175 4 stroke motors? Got a jack plate?

also, why did you select the 189 TRX over the 18 TRX

thx!
    My 189 is a 150 with no jack plate. I run 55 on the dot, full tank, livewells, and gear- one person. This is during summer, did not have the boat during cooler temps.

I bought the 189 because I wasn't concearned with top end and did not care about many of the options. I guess I'm kind of plain and boring! Also I could not fit the boat in the garage with a jack plate. If I wanted power poles I might have gone to 175.

7. Member
    Rangernate- thx for your response. I’m super garage space-constrained as well! I can fit my 18x2 with the older 2.5L ProXs 175 in my garage but have very little space to spare. I‘m wondering how the new 150 PROXS 4s compares size-wise to my engine. The new 150 4s is a 3 liter inline 4 motor; my prosxs 175 is a 2.5 liter V6.

Sorry to hear about some of the issues you guys have experienced with your 189trx. My 18x2’s overall fit and finish was not awesome, but it wasn’t completely awful. As I get closer to getting a new boat, I’m narrowing it down to one of these:

ranger Z518
    Triton 189 TRX
    Caymas 18SS

8. Member
    A 175 will get you 61-62mph. The 4 strokes are I think a little deeper size wise, but the length given with folded tongue on the website is accurate. So far Ive been lucky with my 2020 18, no quality issues other than floatation recall. it's a good boat.

9. Member
    My garage is 21' on the nose, and the boat just fits with inches to spare. I have been very pleased with my Triton. I think it fishes great and thats my main concern. I will say that I think the storage could be worked out better.

10. Member
    My 18x2 with the older 2s PROXS 175 goes about 62-63 as well. I also think the cowling on the new 175 4s is a little larger than my motor, which concerns me. Heck, the new 150 proxs cowling night even be bigger than my motor.

i do think my boat fishes fantastically. It also handles bigger water like a bigger boat. And I don’t even have any stress cracks after years of bouncing around some seriously big water. My only complaint would be similar to some of you guys-fit/finish wasn’t/isn’t fantastic.

Have an 18trx and I have to say the quality and fit and finish on ours was beyond excellent. Im very very picky about how things are installed and routed especially wiring and i only added a couple different zip ties here and there and thats it. I will agree the center compartment isnt the greatest shape in front but i have worked around it. Performance of the boat im very happy with but i also agree that the boat does rock side to side quite a bit even for small waves or wakes. Other than that as far as quality issues none. I crawled all over a 189trx at the dealer when we ordered and it was very well put together as well i really looked it over inside and out.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    My 2020 189trx has been great. The transducer on the ultrex seems to have stopped working though. No depth or contour.

13. Member
    2017 189TRX, all the “Triton built” parts have been great except the diamond pattern stitching is coming out of my driver’s seat. (I need to find out if seats are warranted.)

I’m surprised to hear your boat isn’t stable, but mine only runs 54-55 on a good day with my 150ProXS on a 6” jack plate and 2 Talons. I hope your dealer can make everything right.

14. Member
    I have an 18TRX, and I am very happy with it. I bought it based on the performance of my first triton which was a used TR186 which I really liked. Most of my life I was a walleye fisherman, so that was a totally different platform. I’m sure there are better better Bass boats than the one I own, but for the price I paid for my boat, I don’t think I could have beat it. I’ve never really noticed rocking, but since other people notice it it must be a fact, but it’s not significant enough for me to have even thought about it. if I was a serious tournament fisherman, or had much more time than I do to fish, maybe I could justify spending more money on a boat, but this boat does everything I want to do and it does it well in my opinion. You can read about poor experiences on most threads on this form, no manufacturer no matter what you pay is immune to that. No regrets at all here. T_Huff, I wish you felt better about your purchase, hopefully things will work out for the best for you.