Elite TI 12 Surface Noise

On my console Elite TI 12 seems the "surface noise" is very wide and seems to extend down to 7 ft. When the bottom line is in the noise I do not get a depth reading. When the bottom line is below the noise and I see "white space" I will get a depth reading. The depth reading is accurate and everything seems fine below the surface noise - good returns and detail. I am running a TotalScan on the transom and a shoot through hull with a Y cable. The Side and down scan do not seem to have the noise and have clear images. I do not see this noise on the bow with its TotalScan.

Is this a setting issue or maybe a bad hull transducer?
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Do you get the same sufaceclutter with both the shoot-through and the TotalScan? (You have to unlplug the Y and plug the TotalScan directly in your unit to see 2D from the TotalScan, assuming you have a TotalScan and not LSS-2 that was typically sold with the Y.)
    Surfaceclutter can be caused by plankton and pollen, in which case it will vary from one trip to the next. But it is often the result of turbulence hitting the transducer (if transom mounted) or airbubles in the fiberglass (for shoot-through). For the two last versions, moving the transducer to a better location is the solution.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Do you get the same sufaceclutter with both the shoot-through and the TotalScan? (You have to unlplug the Y and plug the TotalScan directly in your unit to see 2D from the TotalScan, assuming you have a TotalScan and not LSS-2 that was typically sold with the Y.)
    Surfaceclutter can be caused by plankton and pollen, in which case it will vary from one trip to the next. But it is often the result of turbulence hitting the transducer (if transom mounted) or airbubles in the fiberglass (for shoot-through). For the two last versions, moving the transducer to a better location is the solution.
    Thanks for the idea. I will try connecting it to just the Totalscan on the next trip.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO