Steadycast calibration

Does anyone have any tips on getting the steadycast to do any better than 60? I have tried tight circles, wide circles, etc, and cant get it to calibrate over 55 or so. On previous SW versions it would lock in at over 90. It also seems like it wont "save" the calibration. When I power off, and go fishing the next day, it seems like I have to redo the calibration. When I do circles to calibrate on my map, my circles looks like a square, like its not tracking right... Any suggestions would be helpful...

Is the chartplotter prompting to re-calibrate, or does the unit just stop performing as expected? If the chartplotter is prompting, did you do both calibration steps? That is, “Compass Calibration” and “Auto Heading Alignment”. Do you have the current SteadyCast software installed (2.30)?
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Hey Todd, It does not prompt me to calibrate. I did both calibration steps. I am on the most version of the software

4. Member
    Low percent number usually means it's in a bad location that is getting magnet interference....try moving sensor away from any electronics/wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by ifishforbass View Post
    Hey Todd, It does not prompt me to calibrate. I did both calibration steps. I am on the most version of the software
    What makes you think you need to recalibrate it? Is the SteadyCast performance not what you expect? If so, explain the behavior.
    Garmin Pro Team

6. Member
    I will try moving it. It isn't accurate when I am "anchor locked", as far as which direction I am facing. When I am running down the lake, my boat is sideways around turns, and not facing the right direction. Its just off a bit.

7. Banned
    A heading sensor doesn't need to be calibrated if installed correctly no matter the brand. I run Point 1 with my HB units and it is spot on.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    A heading sensor doesn't need to be calibrated if installed correctly no matter the brand. I run Point 1 with my HB units and it is spot on.
    Steadycast is different than point one....it's mainly just a compass to keep the boat in correct orientation.....point 1 is an actual GPS receiver as well.....steadycast can be mounted inside storage box even.
    But it does have a calibration process to get it working properly.
    Last edited by Gford; 08-11-2020 at 10:21 PM.