I'm stuck, literally

I was going to replace the shaft seals on my Minn Kota Power Drive V2, got the prop off, noticed a birdsnest of fishing line on the shaft and also had a bent shear pin. Got the line off, got the pin out but when i tried to loosen two seal housing screws they would not budge. I used an 8 mm socket and stubby ratchet handle. When appling pressure I could feel the screws twisting but not breaking loose. Those screws are very long and somewhat small diameter. I was afraid to use more pressure fearing the screws would snap. Anybody got any suggestions?

2. Member
    I don't know that there is much you can do other than go after them and if they twist either try to extract or replace the cone. My trick for assembling all things like this is dielectric grease. On the seals, screw threads, on the orings, body joints, wire terminals, etc.

I've only ever been into a Terrova. They are not exceptionally difficult to work on but it takes a bit of practice sometimes especially fighting the magnetic force. I'm sure the pros have some neat tricks to do these.
    2018 Ranger 1880 MS
    200 Verado L4
    Solix 12 SI G1
    XNT 14 HWT dual spectrum 2D on Y cable
    Ulterra 112 Ipilot Link
    AS GPS HS
    Ionic lithium batteries 3)100 1)125 installed 6/20
    MK460PC on board charger
    Stealth 1 DC lithium so-so about 6 amps per battery

3. Member
    Al, have you contacted a minn Kota ASC to get an estimate for that job. It might be wise to check that out before you break one of those bolts. Then decide. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    When you say twisting, do you mean turning or just loading up and flexing? If you are an experienced mechanic you can and probably know the difference. If you're afraid they are going to break, you probably should leave everything alone until you have the down time available to replace some housing parts or the entire motor if they snap off.
    One option might be to strike them with a hammer and brass drift and see if they loosen, or a low torque impact wrench, but again, if someone used red loctite or such you are plucked.

5. Member
    You had water intrusion in the motor which caused corrison and the screws to seize. At this point if you try to remove them they will break off. Chances are slim you can salvage anything. I would replace the shaft and motor assembly at this point or just get a new troll motor depending on age.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    You had water intrusion in the motor which caused corrison and the screws to seize. At this point if you try to remove them they will break off. Chances are slim you can salvage anything. I would replace the shaft and motor assembly at this point or just get a new troll motor depending on age.
    This is the best advice. I've broke several that was seized.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Try using an "Impact Driver" that you turn by hand and hit with a hammer. I've broke many screws and bolts loose using one. Don't use a Hammer Drill as you can over turn it and break the bolt or screw up the head.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents