MEGA 360 housing spinning

The housing around the transducer is now lose and spinning. Anyone have this happen yet?

2. Member
    There’s been a couple threads on it recently, here’s a couple links....

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1070892

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1074068

Called Humminbird and they haven't seen this issue yet. The service guys are going to call me back in the evening

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    The housing around the transducer is now lose and spinning. Anyone have this happen yet?
    Yep, there are a few of us and I have seen a couple with this issue on FB. The quick easy solution is to hand tightened it. But then you have to worry about it and adjust the pointer when it comes loose again. I talked to HB about it and they told me not to use Loctite On the shaft threads as it it would void my warranty. Although different reps have different stories. Let us know what they tell you.

BTW, my m360 has been in Eufaula since Friday. I didn’t want to take a chance on the warranty even though this is a simple repair. HB knows about this issue, but maybe not all of the CS reps. I know the repair shop knows about it.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

They said take it for repair. This is my bosses 360. He wants to drill and make a set screw. I didn't feel comfortable agreeing but it is his.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    They said take it for repair. This is my bosses 360. He wants to drill and make a set screw. I didn't feel comfortable agreeing but it is his.
    After taking mine apart I can say with confidence placing a little black epoxy on the composite shaft threads is the best way to go. Drilling a hole for a set screw kinda bothers me on a composite shaft. Reminds me of drilling a hole in a fishing rod, it will eventually break. The threads are exposed after you unscrew the two external stainless steel screws in the pointer. Give a little slack in the power & transducer cables, back the pod off enough to see and inch or two of threads, apply the epoxy, make sure the hex bolt is in place (in the top of the pod and where the two external stainless steel screws seat), screw the pod as tight as you can by hand readjust the pointer to the proper position (in line of the center of the hull. Ask your boss to read the old 360 installation manual (not in the Mega 360 manual). I believe Wayne told me pages 25-27 in the original 360 manual. But if he wants to blindly drill a hole in his shaft, he can, he’s the boss, lol.

As I said above, I sent mine to HB to keep my warranty in force. It’s just a week turn around.
    Last edited by Sirius Rich; 08-10-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    After taking mine apart I can say with confidence placing a little black epoxy on the composite shaft threads is the best way to go. Drilling a hole for a set screw kinda bothers me on a composite shaft. Reminds me of drilling a hole in a fishing rod, it will eventually break. The threads are exposed after you unscrew the two external stainless steel screws in the pointer. Give a little slack in the power & transducer cables, back the pod off enough to see and inch or two of threads, apply the epoxy, make sure the hex bolt is in place (in the top of the pod and where the two external stainless steel screws seat), screw the pod as tight as you can by hand readjust the pointer to the proper position (in line of the center of the hull. Ask your boss to read the old 360 installation manual (not in the Mega 360 manual). I believe Wayne told me pages 25-27 in the original 360 manual. But if he wants to blindly drill a hole in his shaft, he can, he’s the boss, lol.

As I said above, I sent mine to HB to keep my warranty in force. It’s just a week turn around.
    Humminbird told me to do exactly as Sirius Rich stated. Give slack to the pod and take it off the coupler by removing the set screws, unthread the coupler apply some black epoxy and tighten it back up. Let it cure, remount the pod, realign the front of pod and go fishing.

8. Member
    I just put super glue around mine.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA