‘03 Evinrude 225 HO Dying on low idle/shift?

E225FHLSTA (Ficht).

After sitting about four months (Covid-19), it’s developed an issue or issues that I have yet to diagnose.

On launch, starts immediately and high idles @ 1000 RPM with no issue whatsoever. Shifting in and out of gear also results in no issue. I let it warm up for several minutes and then take it for a run and exercise it thru the RPM range and it runs perfect. After about 10 minutes of running, come off plane and let it go to idle (650 RPM) and it will stall. Restart immediately and it stalls - numerous times. Occasionally, it will briefly idle (650 RPM) before stalling. From this point on, if I feather the hotfoot after start @1,000 RPM, it will idle fine. If I let it drop to about 900 RPM, it stalls. Rinse and repeat.

I changed both fuel filters. Dumped the fuel from the filter into a glass jar and let it settle for an hour - no water or contaminants. Verified all plugs were properly gapped and indexed. Removed and thoroughly cleaned the exhaust pressure sensor. No improvement on the water.

No issues on driveway muffs (15 minute idle) but not the same conditions as on the water.

It appears to have a “low idle” issue after warm and under load. Have EVDiags and intend to monitor TPS and fuel parameters but it is difficult to recreate the scenario and then actively monitor what’s going on.

Any clues?

Thanks...

I had a similar issue with my 07 225 Etec. I replaced all 6 of my plugs and she was right as rain.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

You should do a compression check at this point and let us know the results! Are you using XD100 or have you performed a de-carb?
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

A couple of things come to mind after you check compression, ignition, fuel quality.
    Fuel pressure and system voltage. Fuel pressure test you need a pressure gauge and system voltage you need a laptop with diag program.
    Last edited by ELGIN; 08-10-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    You should do a compression check at this point and let us know the results! Are you using XD100 or have you performed a de-carb?
    Will check and report compression this evening. At max RPM with a 26 Raker 2 (dinged) it ran 64 on the GPS so I presumed (perhaps mistakenly) that all was well with compression. Last compression number from 8/4/18 were 116-120 across all cylinders - will be interesting comparing them to what they are now.

Nothing but XD100.

Last plug change was 11/2019 with about 30 hours on them.

Thanks...

Are you still running the QC12PEP's or have you gone to the optional QC10WEP's with the E-TEC Thermostats?
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    Are you still running the QC12PEP's or have you gone to the optional QC10WEP's with the E-TEC Thermostats?
    The latter...