Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Wow interesting info one the 24p props both of you are running and the speeds. Basically you can hit 48-50 with either a 24p or 21p from what I am reading so far. I know it depends on loading but still.....I thought a 21p was the only way to see those speeds. Thanks for sharing.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

2. Member
    Running the same setup as you but seeing better numbers. The Tempest 21P is factory matched for the CT engines and should reach max RPM around 61-6200RPMS. My boat on cool mornings will run 47-48GPS. In this summer heat I am running 45.5-47GPS. You will see varying answer for speed issues. The vent plugs in your prop have no effect on speed. Their purpose is to induce cavitation on holeshot so your engine turns up quicker. You are not showing any faults on your VVM app? What is the maintenance history on your engine?
    If it where me I would take it into a reputable Mercury shop and have them download the run data.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
    Wow interesting info one the 24p props both of you are running and the speeds. Basically you can hit 48-50 with either a 24p or 21p from what I am reading so far. I know it depends on loading but still.....I thought a 21p was the only way to see those speeds. Thanks for sharing.
    No tabs makes a difference. The hull doesn't lift enough to get the tabs out of the water. I've hit 50 a couple times in the winter by myself. It takes constant trim input to do it. I'm not running a jack plate and have the standard lower unit turning a 20 LaserII, I have the tabs intact. There are a LOT of variables in speed with these aluminum boats, no two hulls or motors are exactly the same. I cannot turn the 20 Laser past 5800 RPM's. This time of year it won't even turn it that high.

If Ranger is ok with the 21 Tempist that's what I'd run and be happy. When I was setting up boats all the time I could run three different props the same size right out of the box and all three would be a little different. Just too many variables.

4. Member
    So your motor is a 4 stroke not the two stroke and you are running a 24P?
    115 pro Xs 4stroke ct, I’ve ran it with both 21p and 24p tempest prop and 24p can only get 48.1

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Running the same setup as you but seeing better numbers. The Tempest 21P is factory matched for the CT engines and should reach max RPM around 61-6200RPMS. My boat on cool mornings will run 47-48GPS. In this summer heat I am running 45.5-47GPS. You will see varying answer for speed issues. The vent plugs in your prop have no effect on speed. Their purpose is to induce cavitation on holeshot so your engine turns up quicker. You are not showing any faults on your VVM app? What is the maintenance history on your engine?
    If it where me I would take it into a reputable Mercury shop and have them download the run data.
    No blocked or shown faults at all and I have 50 hours exactly on the motor now. All maintenance and break in has been followed. I may need to get a check uup done but I am going to do a bit more logging and my own checks first.

Lots of good information from you all I do appreciate the input.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

6. Member
    The throttle cables do come out of adjustment. When I was running Cats I'd have the Opti set at 98%. By time I had 100 hours it was running 10% less. I am not sure how you would set this without the correct software? The three year checkup on my current 1154S was not cheap.

No blocked or shown faults at all and I have 50 hours exactly on the motor now. All maintenance and break in has been followed. I may need to get a check uup done but I am going to do a bit more logging and my own checks first.

Lots of good information from you all I do appreciate the input.
    Dude its been like 100° for weeks now, All motors are suffering in Texas right now. Wait until fall and run it. You will probably find like most guys in the South you can run a cool weather prop and a different one for the hot weather.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Dude its been like 100° for weeks now, All motors are suffering in Texas right now. Wait until fall and run it. You will probably find like most guys in the South you can run a cool weather prop and a different one for the hot weather.

The mph and rpms on the analog gauges have been the same since I got the boat and the gps confirmed speeds have not changes more than 1-2 mph with the heat so although I know there will be a reduction due to the heat especially now it wont be 900 rpm and 5-7 mph. I am only addressing it now because I was able to confirm how off my analog gauges were with my recent addition of vessel view. Your point is valid as it has a definite impact but there is something more in this case.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

9. Member
    empty the boat out and run it again
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12