I need a new NRX spinning pt. 2.

I started a thread a couple months back about wanting a second NRX spinning rod. My first was a 872s and after that thread decided on a 822s SYR that I'm really liking. So 852s is very popular but I have a 872s is the a legitimate reason to go 852s vs another 872s? Considering the 822s DSR which fishing Bull Shoals and Table Rock i am working on my drop shot fishing more and more BUT is the 822s DSR a one shot pony? I guess right now I'm 852s, another 872s, or a 822 DSR unless you guys can convince me otherwise. My new Stella will be on the 872 and my Vanquish is now on my 822 SYR but I just got a Stradic Ci4+ that needs a rod. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Member
    872 but they are hard to come by at the moment. More stock is to come in about a month from what I’m told. I would go 822dsr if you really want a dedicated rod. It would work well for neds and some other finesse techniques but yes it is kinda limited.
    Nitro z21

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I don't think the 822s DSR is good for anything but dropshot but as far as I'm concerned it's the gold standard for dropshot rods.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I only had a couple NRX at one time, including that SYR 822. I've fished with my buddy's rods a fair amount. I wasn't a fan of his 822 DSR, but I dont dropshot either. It's probably great for that. I did really enjoy his NRX 842. Might be real close to your 822 SYR. IF I had to force myself to get a dropshot rod, it would probably be an 842 or 822 SYR just because it would have some other versatility.

NRX 901s is my favorite spinning rod and it works excellent for DS.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    NRX 901s is my favorite spinning rod and it works excellent for DS.
    Is it still offered? I don't see it on their website unless I'm looking wrong.

7. Member
    Also not counting out the possibility of a Conquest too guys.

8. Member
    I have the GLX version and from what I've read it's very similar in action to the NRX. I use the 822 for finesse plastics as well. Actually I have a 1/16 oz. Shakeyhead with a Zoom Finesse worm tied on for tomorrow morning. I also throw Neds on it. I love the soft tip on this rod. I have the NRX 852 and it's a stiff, powerful rod. I find that casting baits at the bottom end of the lure wieght rating(1/8 oz.) doesn't perform that well with that stiff tip. I also have the 1st. generation E6X 822. It's almost identical to the GLX except for the sensitivity. I now use it for small poppers and jerkbaits and it performs fantastic.

I picked up the IMX-Pro 901SJR this winter. Been very happy with it. Basically it's my Ned rod. The NRX version is a JWR(extra fast) as the IMX is SJR(fast). I've read that the NRX 901 has a soft tip. Loomis has done a few "limited run" on both the NRX 901 and 902.

9. Moderator
    So I got the Table Rock and Bull Shoals part (I'm in MO as well and have had just about every NRX spinning option)...My question is, what technique are you missing? Yes, the DSR is basically a drop shot rod only unless you take it to walk to some small Ozarks streams, etc...it will work for that, also. The benefit to the 852 is that it likely the fast/stiffest of the 2-power bunch and is great if you are doing the 1/4oz-3/8 oz jighead with grub/Keitech 2.8 or 3.3 swimbait on the lakes (a technique I love)...I'm using the 782 Conquest for my creek fishing and will for drop shot. The 6'6" is nice if you are drop shotting straight under your bow graph transducer, which is common on those lakes.. (shorter is better within reason)..It fishes between the DSR and SYR NRXs for power...I popped some creek smallies with it on the Arkansas side last weekend..
    Steve

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    So I got the Table Rock and Bull Shoals part (I'm in MO as well and have had just about every NRX spinning option)...My question is, what technique are you missing? Yes, the DSR is basically a drop shot rod only unless you take it to walk to some small Ozarks streams, etc...it will work for that, also. The benefit to the 852 is that it likely the fast/stiffest of the 2-power bunch and is great if you are doing the 1/4oz-3/8 oz jighead with grub/Keitech 2.8 or 3.3 swimbait on the lakes (a technique I love)...I'm using the 782 Conquest for my creek fishing and will for drop shot. The 6'6" is nice if you are drop shotting straight under your bow graph transducer, which is common on those lakes.. (shorter is better within reason)..It fishes between the DSR and SYR NRXs for power...I popped some creek smallies with it on the Arkansas side last weekend..
    In my first "Need another NRX Spinning Rod" thread I mentioned drop shoting over the bluff tree tops and you convinced me on the 822 SYR vs the DSR for the extra power and I love that rod, thanks! Also love the 872 so just wanting to kind of fill the gap so to speak. I sold the ci4+ 2500 for a Stradic 3000 FL so it needs a rod. I guess I'm torn 822 DSR (but I really think the SYR will suffice), 852, or just get another 872. I found a Conquest 842 for a good price but what will it offer over a 852 or another 872? I hear so much about the DSRs drop shot capabilities yet it is more of a one trick pony and I am willing to go that route but whatever I choose will complete my spinning rod arsenal and I tend to lean toward versatility. So to truthfully I don't know what I am missing I just need one more spinning rod .

11. Member
    I would buy the Conquest for something a bit different. i have one and love it as i pond fish and it will cover a variety
    of technique..i also love the handle and if priced right buy it

Regardless of what you decide, I like the way you think bud!

"So to truthfully I don't know what I am missing I just need one more spinning rod ."

I agree with the guys that the DSR is absolutely great for drop shot, but not for much else.

If you want to look outside NRX, you might want to consider the WPJR821S GLX - I use it for 1/16 - 1/8 oz ned rigs, drop shot, and small spoons. It has a softer tip than the 822 SYR but not as soft as the 822 DSR. It does have recoil guides which I am fine with, but quite a few folks don't like them. It's an outstanding rod, it's in the walleye series, but it catches bass just fine. The 1 power designation may make it seem like a very light rod, but it has plenty of backbone.

Edit: Saw a comment below about spybaits, which reminded me that I also throw Duo 80 spybaits on my 821.

14. Banned
    I have them all but I have a couple GLX 902 and they are impressing me....

15. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    In my first "Need another NRX Spinning Rod" thread I mentioned drop shoting over the bluff tree tops and you convinced me on the 822 SYR vs the DSR for the extra power and I love that rod, thanks! Also love the 872 so just wanting to kind of fill the gap so to speak. I sold the ci4+ 2500 for a Stradic 3000 FL so it needs a rod. I guess I'm torn 822 DSR (but I really think the SYR will suffice), 852, or just get another 872. I found a Conquest 842 for a good price but what will it offer over a 852 or another 872? I hear so much about the DSRs drop shot capabilities yet it is more of a one trick pony and I am willing to go that route but whatever I choose will complete my spinning rod arsenal and I tend to lean toward versatility. So to truthfully I don't know what I am missing I just need one more spinning rod .
    If you need power on the low side of your range, get the DSR...If you need power on the higher side of that range, get the 852. I think you that you'll think the 842 Conquest is too similar to the 872 so maybe not worth the extra $$. I have 2 of the 842s and they fish a hair softer than you might expect...or dead on with what you expect from the SJR line...
    Steve