Burn 34 gallons of gas and used 1.4 gallon of oil?

2018 225 pro xs with 83 hrs. According to the merc monitor I used 34 gallons of gas and burned 1.4 gallons of oil. Any ideas?

2. Banned
    A lot of variables... Do you idle a lot... Do you just go out and cruise???... Or, do you run balls to the walls all day???... Dan

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    2018 225 pro xs with 83 hrs. According to the merc monitor I used 34 gallons of gas and burned 1.4 gallons of oil. Any ideas?
    that works out to an average of 24:1 gas to oil . Does this take into account the extra oil used for the "Break -In " period ? This doesn't seem like very much fuel consumed for 83 hours of run time though sounds like something in the Merc Monitor is off .

Mercmonitors are normally spot on unless a sensor is bad. Where are you getting your oil consumption number? Also, driver input has a lot to do with how much oil you use. For example, when you open up the throttle all the way, the oil pump gives a ton of extra oil (50 shots IIRC) in anticipation of running WOT. If you have a habit of hammering the throttle then backing off regularly, you will use a lot more oil than a guy who is smooth.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    seems a bit excessive on oil to me, I run through 32 gallons of fuel a day in a tournament on average at Lake Powell making long treks, never even consumed a full gallon and thats on a 2016 250 ProXS. Sounds almost like its in break in mode and double oiling.

6. Member
    The 83 hours is really 487 gallons total used according to the merc monitor. And as far as running it was cruising and running full throttle. No long idling.
    I guess I will run it and watch it and see.

7. Moderator
    Idling uses less oil. Running uses the most.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Don't fall into the trap of trying to view your oil consumption as a RATIO. Your Optimax Engine requires the exact same amount of oil as it's 2-stroke predecessors (carb or EFI engines).

Example: Take an EFI 225 2-stroke and your engine, run them both at 5000 RPM's for 1 hour. The oil demands are virtually identical.

However- the EFI engine probably used 1.5 times as much fuel. So while it may look like you are using a lot of oil, the REALITY is that you're simply using way LESS FUEL.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor