Thread: HDS9 Gen 3

HDS9 Gen 3

I bought one of these units from a friend. It was working when he had it. I mounted it, bought a LSS2 transducer for it and mounted it. Now, nothing seems to work. I don't have sonar (I glued the old transducer in floor but might not have it quite right...not concerned about it yet), downscan or sidescan...I understood that was a plug and play deal. Also it won't get a position in order to create a waypoint. Assuming these are different issues. First, do I need a different transducer? As for the GPS...he may have had a Point 1 but not sure. If so, do I need to change something in settings? If so, where do I find it? I don't have any manuals with it. I hear about a soft re-boot and a hard one. What are differences, how to do and disadvantages of both? Sorry guys, I know I'm asking a lot here but any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Do a hard reset and set up the unit again. He might have had a bunch of other equipment, and his source-settings reflect that.

3. Member
    How do I do a hard reset? As I said, no books with this and I never did one before.

4. Member

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

5. Member
    After you do the hard reset, the unit is wiped clean of all GPS points, settings, etc.

6. Member
    Do you have the LLS2 transducer selected in the the setup menu?
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

7. Member
    Also, just to make sure, you did have it in the water when looking at sonar/sidescan/downscan correct?
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

8. Member
    Do just as TC said. You don't have to select the LSS, it will be selected automatically. With the hard reset, everything should be recognized. Then go to Pages, Settings, Network, Data Sources. Open the GPS tab and for position select This Unit. Open the Sonar tab and for Depth and Temp select This Unit.

Go to Pages, Settings, Sonar and be sure Network Sonar is OFF. On the same menu, go to Installation and select the type of 2D transducer you have. If in the bilge it is either a PD-WBL, PDT-WBL, or PDRT-WBL depending on whether you have temp of not. The type will be on a silver tag near the blue connector.

Finally, select the Structure page and on the menu on the right, the Source should say This Unit.

That should get you running at least.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175