Thread: Abu Garcia STX

Question Abu Garcia STX

Reel is maybe 6 years old so guessing at generation 2 but not sure. The anti reverse works about half the time. What is involved to repair? Seems like I read that part may be hard to come by. Help appreciated!

2. Member
    I would clean it then oil it first.

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJA View Post
    I would clean it then oil it first.

Good luck!
    I believe your suggestion is going to work......so far so good! Thanks

Do not oil the anti reverse! BAD IDEA. Dan

5. Member
    Gen 2 has the gold colored spool and trim. If I remember correctly, it also has dual braking. My Gen 1 has magnetic braking and no gold. Can't help with repair. I send mine out.

I have replaced the AR bearing in a couple stx gen 3's. I have heard never to oil them and I have heard to oil them. So I'm lost on this. All I can say is oiling one didn't matter and when I replaced I dropped it in as it was and it worked.

it is as simple as taking the reel side plate off the middle chassis and pushing the ar bearing out and dropping a new one in (in the same orientation) and then putting most of the real back to tether. Pay attention as you disassemble maybe even take lots of pictures with your phone.

abu sold me the part via telephone call. For like 8$ each I got a few since me and a buddy run 35 stx or comparable reels. Odd thing was they told my my AR bearing was not replaceable and I would need a side plate. But no.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    AR bearings are a pretty common part unless some weird unusual size is used which is doubtful.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Do not oil the anti reverse! BAD IDEA. Dan
    Please tell us why.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

AR Bearings are a dry bearing. Oil it and it WILL fail. Not if, rather WHEN. That is why. Dan

10. Member
    I am not sure I have ever seen a dry one... an awful lot of reels come from the factory with the one way packed with grease (which can definitely present a problem when temps drop). Personally owned reels that I have done full tear down cleaning/maintenance on, the one way gets cleaned in the ultrasonic, blown dry, and a single drop applied via needle oilier before reassembly. Call me lucky, but I have never once had an issue with an oiled one way, some going on 25+yrs.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Do as you will.....and no the ARs do not come greased. You may see grease in and around it but that is excess from the gearing....but again, do as you will. Dan

12. Banned
    Most AR bearings are shipped with a thin film of oil or grease. Some say not to oil them, some say to. Here is my take on it...I put a thin film of oil on the sleeve that rides on the crankshaft and goes inside the AR bearing. Thats just enough to keep things smooth/corrosion resistant. Never had a problem in 25 years.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. My advice stems from 26 years working for and with Shimano American directly. In that time regardless of mfg I have never seen a pre lubed anti-reverse. SAC clutches are specically wrapped to insure they remain dry/clean, as are the inner liner tubes. Everyone does things their own way....but that doesnt make it the right way just because, just makes it their way,
    so like I said, do as you will.....Dan

14. Member
    I know Dan knows what he’s doing and I’d be inclined to follow his advice. It also appears to be wise to get some spare AR bearings while things are working in case this stops working again... You may want to try and re-clean the AR and re-install dry and see if that will work as well.

Good luck!