Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ULTREX CONFIDENCE

I just replaced my one season old Fortrex with a new Ultrex and I can’t wait to try it out. I ordered my boat with the Fortrex and was going to sell my Fortrex but I received a lot of replies on the Facebook Ranger site to keep it as a backup and that I will be putting on a lot. Could a few of you Ultrex users post some positive post if you are trouble free and enjoy the Ultrex, as I have seen too much negativity on the Ranger Facebook site and not so much here Thanks.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

The Ultrex is a great TM. But, it does seem to have more issues than the older models. If you have an Minn Kota Authorized Service Center nearby who can do a quick repair for you, then selling the Fortrex might be fine. But, if you would have to ship your Ultrex to a warranty repair center, you might be without a trolling motor for a couple weeks or more, so keeping the Fortrex as a backup would be prudent.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member

Ultrex stuck in port position

I have a minn Kota ultrex on my new to me 2019 Ranger. Saturday while fishing the foot pedal, on its own, pushed downward toward the bow of the boat and locked into this position. I am unable to reset it and thusly the motor is locked in the port direction. It will not move!!! I turned it of and on. Nothing happened. I am unable to move it with the foot pedal. I can grab the head and turn it and the foot pedal moves, but immediately goes back to the aforementioned position. The motor will run but not turn. Any help?

4. Member
    Man, you guys are not giving me much confidence in my new Ultrex...lol. I also replaced a 2 year old Fortrex with this one but gave it to a friend in need when I took it off so I don't have a backup and really hope I don't need one! Only had mine out on the water 2 times so far but no problems yet and I love it!

5. Member
    Ive ran my ultrex thru the mill and it keeps on ticking
    i jumped on a boat with a ghost, the garmin, and I’ve seen a new elusive MG tour pro (in the back of the guys truck with a broken shaft)

Lowrance is a close second, but i think pound for pound the Ultrex is still the best choice
    I’ve hit logs, stumps, buried it on bottom, scuffed it up, and it still works no problem

**i did have to replace a steering sensor ($90 part) from jones trolling motor
    simple fix-20 minute job-just like that other comment my pedal froze and would not move-but the motor still worked from the remote control
    there’s bushings where the mount pivots that you should replace yearly as they wear out ($5 part)
    keep a spare prop, prop shaft pin, and a pull cable and you’ll be good to go!

6. Member
    I was taking a break the other day, eating my PBJ, when suddenly my Ultrex burst into flames, sank my boat, and set the lake on fire.

Just kidding. On my second year with my Ultrex. No issues, love it. Can't imagine having a boat without some version of a "smart" trolling motor.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpGumpy View Post
    Ive ran my ultrex thru the mill and it keeps on ticking
    i jumped on a boat with a ghost, the garmin, and I’ve seen a new elusive MG tour pro (in the back of the guys truck with a broken shaft)

Lowrance is a close second, but i think pound for pound the Ultrex is still the best choice
    I’ve hit logs, stumps, buried it on bottom, scuffed it up, and it still works no problem

**i did have to replace a steering sensor ($90 part) from jones trolling motor
    simple fix-20 minute job-just like that other comment my pedal froze and would not move-but the motor still worked from the remote control
    there’s bushings where the mount pivots that you should replace yearly as they wear out ($5 part)
    keep a spare prop, prop shaft pin, and a pull cable and you’ll be good to go!
    This guy has it figured out. Do yourself a favor and order his suggested spare Parts for back up. Best to know how to repair most easy stuff on the fly. On year four on mine. Repaired items to date. New bushings, main board under warranty, steering cables, new pull cable. I run my motor through the mill and it’s a fine motor but it’s a machine expect repairs.

8. Member
    The worse thing that could happen is the seals going on and it taking on water. But I know they extended the warranty to 3 years with all the issues that have been happening. Keep the Fortrex so you're not SOL if repairs are needed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jonathan View Post
    I have a minn Kota ultrex on my new to me 2019 Ranger. Saturday while fishing the foot pedal, on its own, pushed downward toward the bow of the boat and locked into this position. I am unable to reset it and thusly the motor is locked in the port direction. It will not move!!! I turned it of and on. Nothing happened. I am unable to move it with the foot pedal. I can grab the head and turn it and the foot pedal moves, but immediately goes back to the aforementioned position. The motor will run but not turn. Any help?
    Its quite possible your steering sensor went out. It’s a $88.00 part. I would take it to an authorized repair center because it’s under warranty. I have mine being repaired right now for the same reason but my problem is the actual steering motor itself. I can give you one piece of advice, make sure the steering motor is only drawing 1.5 amps as stated in the service manual. My motor was drawing over 5 amps and it fried the circuit board.

10. Member
    I replaced my 80# Fortrex with an 80# Ultrex too,back in December. I kept my Fortrex until spring and sold it. My Ultrex has been flawless.

11. Member
    two years with my 80/45 non link Ultrex and no problems what so ever.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

12. Member
    I feel a lot better now, I am saving my Fortrex as a backup if ever needed. I did a lot of research on the so called smart trolling motors and went with the Ultrex as in my opinion shines above the rest. I was shocked when I seen all the negative posts on the Ultrex on the Ranger forum on Facebook. I look forward to a lot of happy fishing trips with my new Ultrex.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

I kept my fortrex as a backup. 2 years later it’s still collecting dust

14. Member
    How much can you get for that fortrex? Sell it I say and use the money elsewhere while the fortrex continues to depreciate

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    I kept my fortrex as a backup. 2 years later it’s still collecting dust
    I did the same thing. I’ve got Over two Years on mine and the only problem was the power switch connections had to be cleaned and recrimped.

16. Banned
    I also just replaced my fortrex with an ultrex. Was a simple swap, the mount was a little twisted so I shimmed the one side and it's still a little twisted but seems to fall into place just fine so I'm gonna leave it for now (have to let my hand and arm heal up from reaching under the bow to secure those nuts) it's pretty cool motor only had it out once. my fortrex was flawless so time will tell. I wouldn't call it a game changer, definitely made the day a little easier, if I was out fishing with the fortrex I would have had the same results. The foot pedal is very sensitive and jerky, but responsive. I like I can point it in any direction and just let it go. Spot lock is cool, I was messing around with that a bunch and it's best feature. I was slow to purchase because of all the issues, I'm not convinced it will be flawless so I too am keeping my fortrex as back up.

17. Member
    I'm sure I will get torched for this...But shouldn't we expect not to have to keep what we are replacing for a backup when we are spending close to 3g's in the first place???? I know some of it is install or set up related.... But I would say shame on minn kota for not supplying proper instructions! I just watched a video on a install where the installer was having problems getting it calibrated and finally got in touch with the "Right" person at Minn kota who was able to help him and then he tells the installer " this isn't supposed to be public knowledge " WHY????????????

I have the 1st gen Ultrex and is 3yrs 8mos old and had the sensor board replaced under warranty at 2yrs 7 months. It has been absolutley easy to calibrate and set up the remote. You get use to the pedal being easy to work.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcyoung517 View Post
    I'm sure I will get torched for this...But shouldn't we expect not to have to keep what we are replacing for a backup when we are spending close to 3g's in the first place???? I know some of it is install or set up related.... But I would say shame on minn kota for not supplying proper instructions! I just watched a video on a install where the installer was having problems getting it calibrated and finally got in touch with the "Right" person at Minn kota who was able to help him and then he tells the installer " this isn't supposed to be public knowledge " WHY????????????

absolutely yes, but the less than objective will never admit!

When I purchased my Ultrex 40 months ago I put a spare trolling motor in the back of my truck. I haven’t moved it since.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast