Thread: Skeg???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I seriously doubt any insurance inspector is going to authorize a whole new lower unit for a chipped skeg.

2. Member
    I did this damage in June. Insurance picked up a new lower unit and new prop!
    Last edited by katoguy; 08-10-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: issue with pic
    two Helix 12 SI Mega+ G4N & Helix 9 SI Mega+ G4N(bow)
    Helix 12 SI Mega+ G3N & 798ci HD (console)
    Mega 360 and Mega Live / Target Lock
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot Link

two 12' Talons

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I seriously doubt any insurance inspector is going to authorize a whole new lower unit for a chipped skeg.
    You are correct.....My adjuster authorized a BRAND NEW housing. All the gears and shafts were transferred over.

4. Member
    Guess I never thought about calling insurance to see what they say. Maybe I will hold out until it's time to put the boat away this fall and see what he says

5. Member
    Personally, for just a skeg, I'd take it somewhere and get it fixed if it bothered me and avoid an insurance claim and deductible payment, and the chance your premium increasing next year. But that's me.

PM me if you want the name of a good aluminum welder in your area that could probably do it for you.

I would not wait if you are planning on insurance to cover it. I had this done early last year. It did not look as bad as yours but had a bent prop shaft and several broken gears. That LU was a ticking bomb that would have eventually let go.

Skegs are under A LOT of stress when running. A cracked one will let go at the worst times and expect to do a 360 and maybe a swim.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    I would put a skeg on it but you may not be as anal as me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old373guy View Post
    I busted mine off like that a couple years ago and had to have a new one welded on. I put one of the skeg guards on the new one and had survived some pretty good hits.
    If that boat runs over 45 mph no way in hell I'd trust a welded on skeg with my life. My sons boat is capable of 80+ so when the back half got busted off. It went to Don at EM the following week and sat there till fixed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Personally I'd call my insurance company and get a new lower unit. That's why we pay our insurance agent... In case we have an accident... Too much can happen if that little piece a aluminum decides to fall off... Dan
    Last time that happened to me, the adjuster said they would pay to have it welded up but that was it. They wouldn’t even pay to replace with a new housing. I ended up declining.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12