Splash well acess panel leak

I have been trying to find my leak for 3 months I can back the boat in the water live wells on empty and it’s dry as a bone. When I start the big motor up and here it comes so I’m leaning now toward my splash well area either the cover or motor mount bolts so here’s my question what brand of silicone do I need and where to silicone at? Screw holes, around the gasket?
    I,d rather be tried by 12 than be carried by 6

2. Member
    Marine grade silicone works above and below the waterline. What boat do you have?
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    2006 519vx

4. Member
    Your 3m 4200 is a very good sealant for both above and below he waterline. If the splash well access cover is leaking a nice even bead will work good, just be sure to tighten the screws evenly. For the motor mount bolts Remove them one at a time and coat both the bolt shaft and under the washers.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Your 3m 4200 is a very good sealant for both above and below he waterline. If the splash well access cover is leaking a nice even bead will work good, just be sure to tighten the screws evenly. For the motor mount bolts Remove them one at a time and coat both the bolt shaft and under the washers.
    Thanks

I'd find the leak before you start coating everything with silicone ! Before you put the boat in the water, remove the splash well access cover and the spare prop plate so that you can see all of the bilge. Sprinkle a light coat of powder, like Baby Powder, Corn Starch, Baking Soda. This will show you a water trail and is easy to flush out later. Make sure you have a bright flashlight. Once in the water, look in the bilge for any water coming in. Look for water trails. If you don't see any, then start the big motor and check again before putting it in gear. Have a buddy lay on the back deck and check as you slowly move in gear. Hopefully, something will be found. I had a leak that was caused by my boat mechanic who failed to re-seal and install a wire guide under my step.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    If your leak starts when the engine is started,then check the water pressure gauge tubing in the wire bundle to the engine.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    If your leak starts when the engine is started,then check the water pressure gauge tubing in the wire bundle to the engine.
    I’ve chased this leak for 3 months replaced bilge pumps, livewell valves changed the drain plug it’s frustrating.

I’ve actually had to put the plug in and fill the boat almost all the way with water to find a leak....it does work.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Splash well access covers are among the areas most prone to developing a leak over time. They have an o-ring seal, but naturally, any seal made of rubber can eventually deteriorate, and that area gets inundated with water many times a day, especially when you first launch in the morning. Howie provides excellent advice above. The main caveat with applying silicone is that if you subsequently remove what has been siliconed, it takes extra effort to clean it all off before re-installation. Otherwise, chunks of old, dried silicone will make that area leak worse than ever.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio