07 115 E-TEC takes multiple times to start

The motor will usually start on the first try with the muffs on in the driveway. When backed down the ramp in the lake, most of the time will crank one revolution or part of a revolution before the starter drive drops out. Usually 12 to 15 times before the engine will stay running. About 1 out of 15 trips to the lake it will start and stay running on the first crank. After the initial problem starting, the motor starts 1st time every time for the rest of the day. Next time out, same scenario. Model E115DSLSCR serial D5212893. I have replace starter twice, solenoid, key switch, checked all electrical connections. Bypassed the battery switch, checked voltage at starter. The first dealer could not find problem so they fogged cylinders and changed plugs, but same problem. After 2 times at that dealer, I went to a different dealer. First time in, they basically did same thing as first dealer. That did not fix the problem so the 2nd time in they said there was a back pressure problem and changed an exhaust valve and capacitor for approx. $1400. Did not fix problem. Third time back to this dealer they replaced the stator, which had intermittent short to ground causing the capacitor to go out. This trip was $680. Problem is exactly the same. The Service manager said that the mechanic took the boat to the ramp on 5 different mornings after exhaust valve replacement and it started 1st time each morning. When I picked the boat up I experienced the same problem on the 1st trip to ramp. When I picked the boat up after stator replacement, Service manager said same thing ( mechanic took boat to ramp on 5 different cold start occasions and it started 1st time everytime). When I picked boat up first trip to ramp, had the same problem just as nothing had been done. I asked if maybe the parts that had been replaced may not have been needed but was assured that they do not replace parts that are not needed. Boat is at this dealer again. Service manager said she would start a record with BRP. I asked why this wasn't done after the first time in. I am now waiting for the dealer to hear from BRP with a solution. As for as I can tell, BRP cannot be reached by a non Evinrude professional. When I try to contact them, I am directed to the closest Evinrude dealer. This is frustrating. No more Evinrudes for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it makes any difference, the motor is on a 19' Frontier center console.

I would suggest you see what software you are running, there was software update for improved starting and for your engine, the SC in your model number makes it a 2008 engine.
    Get software 3030393_2680 loaded and see if it helps.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. Member
    Thanks, I will call the dealer that has my boat tomorrow and have them check to see what software is running.

Back then there were some service bulletins about starting issues besides the software ELGIN mentioned. One was about a different length starter cable and routing so as not to affect the EMM operation that may or may not apply to your particular motor.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

5. Member
    Thanks for your help, Dealer is being notified.

6. Member
    Dealer says they are waiting for a response from BRP. Only 4 techs where there used to be many. In the meantime one of the members PM'd me and said he had a 2015 115hp etec that had the same problem of multiple times cranking before it would start. His mechanic found a bearing below the powerhead that had too much clearance preventing a switch from making contact. He wasn't sure of the name of the bearing. Does this sound familiar to any of the Evinrude mechanics on here.

7. Member
    No bearing under the powerhead makes contact with a switch. Did you get the software version as asked about in first reply or better yet get and post a history report. Being the age it is anyone ever cleaned injectors, checked exhaust back pressure fitting and restrictor and more a 12 year old engine should have had done over the years. BRP got back to your dealer on the 15th with many things to check starting with fuel quality and quantity as well as possible heat soak. Pretty good in busy times for Northern Hempishere and considering the age of the outboard.

8. Member
    well, I had similiar problem after changed the spark plug myself, engine starts and shuts off for 5 times to get it going. Then i realized I didn't indexing the spark plug. And sloved my problem.

9. Member
    I mentioned the software to the dealer. They said that when the motor is hooked up to the computer, it will prompt the mechanic with any software updates. All I can do is believe what I am told by the service manager. The back pressure threw a code and that's when They replaced what they called an exhaust valve, Part was over $400. Total bill 1400. Injectors have not been cleaned as far as I know. It is frustrating to depend on a service dept. to find and fix your problem and after 3 times back to the dealer, only then did they decide to contact BPR. I also asked if the parts that were replaced were actually needed. So far an Exhaust valve, Stator, Capacitor, for a total of over $2500. Engine does exactly the same thing as when I first took it in. I was assured that no parts are replaced unless they are needed. As I say, all I can do is trust the dealer. If I pick it up and take it somewhere else, I have wasted the $ so far spent. I appreciate all of the help from this site. I'm not sure the service dept. appreciates me telling them what I have read online, but I just want to get my boat back working properly. Any help from this site is greatly appreciated. At least 2 months in the shop is a long time.

10. Member
    Thanks,Plugs were replaced and indexed at dealer.

11. Member
    BRP says may need to replace VST vent kit and reroute battery cable. Could someone tell me where I would get the info for rerouting battery cable and what is a VST vent kit?

12. Member
    Due to some differences of opinion, I picked up my boat from the dealer. I do not know what software the motor is running. Since the motor starts with the muffs on or at the ramp if motor is raised out of the water, and there was some back pressure issue on the computer, what could cause it to take so many times to crank while motor is in the water? Dealer replaced something called an exhaust valve because of back pressure code on computer. Where is the exhaust valve and is that the only thing that would effect back pressure? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mark

13. Member
    Check re-circulation valves, exhaust pressure nipple and orifice, reroute starter cable (Need longer cable) around back of EMM instead of under EMM for a start.

14. Member
    Thanks for the reply, I found all the parts mentioned except re circulation valves. Is that water recirculate of oil? Do you think air or engine temp sensors could cause this. I am thinking of throwing some of the less expensive parts at it since I am on my own with it and no dealer help. If anyone has any suggestions, please speak out, they will be appreciated.
    Mark

15. Member
    2 x re circulation valves behind fuel filter port side, 1 on the starbord side of block below solenoid. They circulate excessive oil (puddling) back to intake. Do what's suggested in post# 13 before throwing parts at it.

Glad you find the orifice, since it's obscured inside exhaust nipple pulse hose around 1/2" from EMM nipple.