AS GPS HS Rate of Turn (ROT) Issue With Solix

One of the benefits I expected to get from adding an external AS GPS HS heading sensor to my Solix 15 SI+ G2 unit was to get Rate of Turn (ROT) data when making turns when trolling. I typically have 2 lines out via Downriggers and 2 via Planer Boards (4 total lines out) and have to be cautious about making turns too tight. If I make the turns too tight I risk "submarining" my planer boards as well as crossing/tangling lines.

Now that I have the AS GPS HS installed I have discovered an issue with either the documentation on the AS GPS HS or the data presented by the Solix. According to the AS GPS HS documentation, the ROT data is in "Degrees per Second" but the data value presented by the Solix reads "Degrees per Minute". When making a fairly tight turn I typically get readings in the 3-degree to 4-degree range so I'm assuming it truly is in "Degrees per Second" and not "Degrees per Minute". I was hoping that it would be "Degrees per Minute" as the data values would be larger and more granular. As it is, the readings tend to bounce around between 2, 3, and 4 even though the Rate of Turn is consistent. That really is of limited value to me.

Although the heading sensor was my main goal, and the AS GPS HS does a great job in this area, it is of limited value to me because the ROT values are so low. Anybody have any experience with this and, if so, can you verify if the data is per second or per minute? Also, is there a way to change the reading from one to the other. I haven't found anything, so I don't think there is, but there are so many places for settings on the Solix, I'm hoping I've just missed it.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

2. Member
    ROT is something to be used with an autopilot. It will not be able to allow for conditions. Wind, waves and current. Your application is dependent on all those variables. You will have to remain conscious while trolling! 1 second would not handle that very well either. Also remember if there is any chop at all the pitch and yaw will affect your heading by a few degrees even if you are going straight. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    ROT is something to be used with an autopilot. It will not be able to allow for conditions. Wind, waves and current. Your application is dependent on all those variables. You will have to remain conscious while trolling! 1 second would not handle that very well either. Also remember if there is any chop at all the pitch and yaw will affect your heading by a few degrees even if you are going straight. Bob
    Bob, I'm fishing on a 10,000 acre freshwater lake with many "fingers" so we never really get any significant waves, unless another boat passes. I think I can count on one hand the times I have seen "white caps" on the lake. Pitch and Roll really isn't much of a factor in my case. I can see where it would definitely have an impact on the "big water"... Oceans or great lakes.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    If the boat is on the water it is moving. Sometimes more or less. Pitch and yaw are present. It does affect the heading. The amount of the effect is dependent on how much. For making a wide turn to accommodate multiple lines requires judgment from someone or something. My trolling is generally 1.7 to 2.1. I have to watch lines and boards to determine if less turn or more speed is needed. The wind direction will change throughout the turn because of the turn. I have been doing this for many years but if I tried to watch a rate of turn number at the same time(even if pitch and yaw are not a factor) I would probably mess up. Maybe because I use differing presentations at the same time or I am just not coordinated enough but it would have to be perfect conditions for me to pull that off. I use Lead core, long lines on inline planers and either dipsy's or snap weights. ( sometimes a couple riggers)Good for you, glad you can manage it. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    If the boat is on the water it is moving. Sometimes more or less. Pitch and yaw are present. It does affect the heading. The amount of the effect is dependent on how much. For making a wide turn to accommodate multiple lines requires judgment from someone or something. My trolling is generally 1.7 to 2.1. I have to watch lines and boards to determine if less turn or more speed is needed. The wind direction will change throughout the turn because of the turn. I have been doing this for many years but if I tried to watch a rate of turn number at the same time(even if pitch and yaw are not a factor) I would probably mess up. Maybe because I use differing presentations at the same time or I am just not coordinated enough but it would have to be perfect conditions for me to pull that off. I use Lead core, long lines on inline planers and either dipsy's or snap weights. ( sometimes a couple riggers)Good for you, glad you can manage it. Bob
    I do the same as you and watch the planers to tell when I need to turn a little less. It is a delicate balance of too much turn which makes the inside board submarine. I was really hoping for the ROT to help when I have a novice at the helm while I'm setting a line. Guess I was hoping for too much.