Thread: New to Potomac

New to Potomac

Just got my first bass boat and looking to dive in the Potomac. What boat launch do y'all recommend on the VA side? I'm coming from Warrenton/Culpeper area so I was thinking Leesylvania or Aquia. Is one better than the other?

2. Member
    I fish the Md side out of Smallwood state park. I here Aquia is nice. I've haven't made it over there yet but it's on my list!

Leesylvania is a much larger facility than Hope Springs. Not sure of the ramp fees since I haven't launched out of either for years. If you are new to the Potomac, there are a couple of things you need to be aware of. Certain winds pushing against the tide flow can turn the river in to a beast. Until you learn how bad it can get, you should be conscious of it throughout the day, and start heading back towards the ramp if you see the wind picking up. You rarely get nice rollers you can drive in. It becomes nasty chop and can be dangerous. Another thing you need to be aware of are the multiple unseen hazards that like to eat lower units, or damage your hull. Depending on where you go, there could be rock piles, or old barges, or even old concrete docking structures that lie just below the surface. You really need a good paper map or a Navionics chip that shows the hazards . The river is a fun place to fish, and can be frustrating to figure out sometimes, but you will like it. If you have questions about navigating, most of us here can help you. You will find "Mikes Express" knows a lot more than the average guy here. Good luck!
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. mikesxpress
    Shaun we have some board members on here that live in your area and travel here to fish. Your safest & quickest way to get up to speed on the river is to hookup with them for a few months and they can show you around.

As Kevin noted above, we have allot of unmarked hazards that only experience/time on the water will reveal. We don't want anyone getting hurt or tearing up equipment in the process of learning the river. We have enough of that with the tourists that show up for a few days of a tournament and Ya'hooers pleasure boating.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-10-2020 at 05:25 AM.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely nervous about navigating new waters with hazards. I'm trying to get a co-worker to come out with me and show me the ropes. I have a Navionics chip in my HDS but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff not on there. The last thing I want to do is rip the outdrive off the boat. I have to get all my paper work squared away but was hoping to get out by next weekend. Mike, definitely need to hook up with some people so I'm not a nervous wreck the whole time I'm out on the water.

6. Member
    Many of the barges, rock piles are on the Potomac map and chip, so that is a good place to start. As Mike says time on the water is your best teacher. Pick an area to fish for a day and fish it, high and low tide--you will learn more that way IMO than running all over....now if I would listen to my own advice. PM me if you have any specific questions.

7. Member
    I'll add that if you ever fish Mattawoman creek be careful during low tide. It can get shallow real quick. My Navionics card is pretty good. I normally stay near Mattawoman I've been to Chicamuxen creek once and man is it shallow during low tide. Thought we were going to get stuck.

8. mikesxpress

9. Member
    All good tips above. My biggest suggestion is to enjoy it and don't take it for granted. I moved away 3 years ago and miss it terribly.... so much that I still come to this board. Go catch some fish.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

Was there a long time ago and it was the first time fishing a tidal river did well in Mattawoman creek so wanted to try another ramp. Well high tide when I got there and it was a normal launch of the boat. When I returned was shocked to see that I was going to need to climb the built in ladder on the dock to get to the truck was a great learning trip and had a great time.

11. Member
    Many very good responses. My lower unit "found" a rock pile years ago. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by smghaley View Post
    My lower unit "found" a rock pile years ago. Not good.
    Did you fish it? Pot of Gold?

13. Member
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. Looks like we are putting in Leesylvania Saturday morning, wish me luck! I'll be bouncing between the Potomac and Lake Louisa most weekends.

Kanes creek on the east side of Belmont Bay is not a place you want to be at dead low tide either.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO