NMMA reports 75% increase

Have you wondered where everyone on the water came from this year? According to the National Marine Manufacturers Association, 2019 was an excellent year for recreational boat sales, significantly up from 2018. [My guess is that lower fuel costs had a lot to do with this.] However, sales figures released for May 2020 show a 75% increase over May 2019! Of course, the approximately 9,000 bass boats produced in the U.S. each year are a drop in the bucket even for the sub-category of freshwater fishing boats, but dang, a 75% increase makes a visible impact in a lot of ways.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

2. Member
    John, many factors going on these days. I think a lot of folks retired off because of the virus risk. Now that lifetime purchase for these folks is complete. It doesn’t hurt that interest rates are very favorable now as well. People that are off work have more time to purchase big ticket items. My prediction is boat sales next year will not as robust. Depends if the economy can withstand and recover from the virus job losses. Time will tell.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    For sure, Wayne. I’ve had a lot of guys tell me that they can’t believe the number of boats on the water this year. But for the sport we love, it’s generally a good thing.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    For sure, Wayne. I’ve had a lot of guys tell me that they can’t believe the number of boats on the water this year. But for the sport we love, it’s generally a good thing.
    Well lots of people taking to the water for some much needed stress relief. Can’t say I blame them including me.

5. mikesxpress
    Same for kayaks and paddle boards along with lake/river lice (jet skis). None in stock around here. Same at my friends place in Destin, FL. That $600 per week and $1200 bonus money did wonders for the marine sales.

6. Member
    I'm thinking there my be a robust buyers market on used Boats and Campers/RV's in 1-2 years. Guessing several people who bought due to "can't do anything else/impulse" will fade in 1-2 years. May be able to pick up some nice rigs on the cheap in a couple years.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/brun...151829746.html
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    I'm thinking there my be a robust buyers market on used Boats and Campers/RV's in 1-2 years. Guessing several people who bought due to "can't do anything else/impulse" will fade in 1-2 years. May be able to pick up some nice rigs on the cheap in a couple years.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/brun...151829746.html
    Agree...things get somewhere near normal and those boats get used twice a year...they will be for sale.

8. mikesxpress
    Wait for a couple months after the Sturgis rally and there will be a bunch of motorcycles for sale across the country....

9. Member
    I'm shocked at what I could potentially sell my 2007 for now vs 6 months ago. But on the same note I can't afford a new boat and their prices are relatively flat so selling mine high only to have to buy a used at an inflated rate would not make sense. I'm seeing 2001 boats with less equipment selling for what I envisioned mine to be priced at, and yes they are selling not just being listed for weeks.