04 200hp running rough

model #E200FPLSRB
    Ser. # 05041676
    Motors on an 04 Champion 188 elite. Ive owned the boat since February and it has run great since with the exception of the EMM issue 2 months ago. (3 lights on gauge)

First off this is my first high horsepower boat so limited experience here.
    I had the EMM repaired 2 months ago and this issue started 2 weeks ago. It is running rough sounds like a miss in gear up to about 1500 rpm. Also sluggish out of the hole now. Too speed still what it was 62mph alone with full livewells 5800rpm. Down a few mph from cooler temps. 100°+ here in Vegas.

I pulled the plugs this morning and all were indexed correctly by previous owner and QC12PEP. Hopefully the pics loaded. Do they look like they are firing correctly? Looking for some advise on what to check/test as I said Im new to troubleshooting with this engine.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What's the gap on them? Color looks good. Newly installed plugs should be gapped at .028". Those motors don't like a lot of idling. You could change your thermostats and switch to the QC10WEP's which will help a lot. Tstat number is 5005440 you'll need 2.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    What's the gap on them? Color looks good. Newly installed plugs should be gapped at .028". Those motors don't like a lot of idling. You could change your thermostats and switch to the QC10WEP's which will help a lot. Tstat number is 5005440 you'll need 2.
    I will check the gap shortly. Ive read about the plug and thermostat swap and will do that also. I always keep idling to a minimum actually just use trolling motor 90% of the time in no wake zones.
    Thanks

From the looks of the plugs there is a bit of wear as a couple of the ground straps look like the have been burned down on the end.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Those plugs don't last long..... it would be in your favor to go ahead and swap thermostats and get the qc10wep plugs for longer life.....both my engines would idle rough and die when shifting gears when the gap got too wide.....also check the exhaust pressure sensor for clogging.

6. Member
    I have been shopping around for the new plugs. Cant find any local so Im going to order plugs and stats and go that route.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    From the looks of the plugs there is a bit of wear as a couple of the ground straps look like the have been burned down on the end.
    I did notice the gap was wider on a few. I run her hard often so if the QC10WEP and new thermostats will extend life Im all in on that.
    Thanks

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May help in your search to look for Champion 9005 that's the stocking number.

9. Member
    May help in your search to look for Champion 9005 that's the stocking number.
    Thanks
    I found 8 at a decent price and the correct stats. Should be here tues/wed

I get my plugs from NAPA and I get the QC10WEP for $6 a plug and that seems to be the best price I found. Amazon has them but DO NOT PURCHASE THEM FROM AMAZON!!! no protective piece on the plug and most just slop around in the bag with bent electrodes.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    Will it be an issue if I re gap these plugs and go run it tomorrow. Was just told I have the day off and wanna go fish.
    The gaps are waaaaay off spec. Some are at .060! Just crazy big!

Gap them and run them.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    Gap them and run them.
    Thanks again Elgin

14. Member
    Re gapped and ran it today and she ran like a raped ape. Hopefully the new plugs and thermostats will help them last a bit longer.
    Thanks again everyone

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Yea...the DFI's don't like wide gaps....Or clogged exhaust sensors.....the first time mine gets the hiccups or stalls while shifting gears when cold is my clue to start checking.....

16. Member
    Im gonna install new plugs and thermostats this weekend. Any suggestion on gasket sealer on thermostat caps? Manual says to put it on the threads.
    Silicone type?

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    BRP Triple Guard grease

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't forget to index the plugs too.

19. Member
    BRP Triple Guard grease
    Will do thanks