Shelter logic carport or metal carport for 185VS

Does anyone keep their Ranger 185VS in a carport? Where we are moving to Florida, i am thinking i may want to get one to keep it in, so the cover won't take a beating from the sun/heat. Going to price out both the metal ones with the 1/2 walls and the canvas ones. Just wondering what size would work. Thinking 12X21, but figured i would ask first. Thanks guys.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I don’t have a 185 or a carport, but 21 feet of depth seems marginal. 12 feet of width would be okay, although still tight for walking alongside. Have you measured your rig? Extra depth is priceless. 3+ feet of clearance would be a very good idea. I did a quick search and found that a 26-foot depth costs [at one supplier] an extra $200. That’s a very good investment for room to walk behind, store chargers and other accessories, etc.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Watch out for Cynthia

I have the shelter logic 10x20 (my boat is a little bit smaller). I also keep the boat cover on. It does have its benefits. Boat dries out pretty quick under it. Issues i have...the canvas cover only lasts a couple years. Also wind, i have to keep it strapped down so it wont blow away (dont ask me how i know ). And yes i had to do a request with my HOA. Numerous houses had them already. Their only stipulation was they needed to be removed during a named storm weather event. I leave the frame and just remove the tarp.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. Member
    I have a 188VS and keep mine in a ShelterLogic 12x24x10 round top and it's worked great for the past 10yrs, i leave the top up all season but it would just fit in if I wanted to close it, with the swing tongue there's tons of room.

6. Member
    Boat Lights.jpgBoat Shed 1.jpgBoat Shed 2.jpg

I have my RT188 in a Shelter Logic barn style garage that's 12x28x9. Gives me plenty of room to walk around the boat without folding the tongue. I've had it for 4 years now with the standard cover and it works well. However, I do keep both ends open during the summer because it will get hot and condensate pretty bad. In the spring, I have to keep an eye on it when it's cold out and the sun warms the canvas, it will condensate bad enough that it will be dripping water from the frame, if I don't open it up and let it breath.
    Last edited by Pagregss; 08-10-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

7. mikesxpress
    Jim congratulations on your move and departure from the snow blower!! This may give you an option.

#57 stone 10" deep compacted for floor with power run in advance of building erection. Mexican crew arrived at 7:20 AM and departed at 4:15 PM. With the metal building on gravel it's considered a temporary structure and is not taxed. Certified framing to accommodate our hurricanes and snow load. No additional insurance required by Liberty Mutual. Covered under existing homeowners policy.

I added a solar powered vent at one end and static vent at the other end to keep the air moving and temperature down a bit. I also have a 72 quart dehumidifier going to drain and a large wall mount fan to dry the boat out.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    That’s a sweet structure, Mike. Great pictures, too.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. mikesxpress
    Thanks John. Pictures and details. You know how this works.

I can stuff the Z21 Intracoastal Ranger and the long bed extended cab F150 in there and walk around both. Cheap protection if you have room.

10. Member
    I don’t think 21 feet will be long enough to cover everything

11. Member
    I have a 185 in my attached carport. With the motor down, I walked 8 giant steps and it was about 1 foot more than that so I’m thinking 25 feet at minimum in length, 30 feet would be better for rain, some would obviously blown on it.

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    I don’t think 21 feet will be long enough to cover everything
    The label I posted above shows mine at 36' deep.

I keep mine under a carport 20x24