Talon screeching

I have a single 10’ talon that makes some awful screeching noises when being deployed and a little when retracting. I have extended out of the water and cleaned and sprayed with different lubricant but still makes the noise. Everything looks to be ok otherwise. Any suggestions?
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

2. Member
    Take the front panel off and spray WD40 on the drum may help
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

3. Member
    I worked it a bunch in the driveway yesterday using a dry lubricant with PTFE and cleaned everything the best I could. It is definitely making the noise when the second stage of the Talon comes out. The small shaft was quiet, it screeched during the middle stage and was quiet again while the largest part comes out. When I was done it was no longer making noise so I am guessing some mud or something like that got up in the second stage. Time will tell.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

4. Member
    Thats very possible as well. When im out in deep water I will deploy mine all 12ft and drive around slowly to wash any dirt/mud off of them as well. I still lube them every 4-5 trips depending on how much they are used...Glad you got them to quiet down.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

My Talon owners manual actually suggest to deploy them over deep water and idle to clean them. When I do that there is a lot of vibration and shaking going on so I don't clean mine like that. What I do is when my boat is in water 10 ft or deeper I will occasionally deploy them while I fish. I figure if I deploy them for 15-20 minutes while moving around with the trolling motor that whatever mud/dirt is on them will soften and wash away with time as I move around on my trolling motor.

I have the old school 8 ft models. They also have a flush port on top where you spray a water hose down the flush port to clean them. I have done this a couple times but what I use that port for is to spray lubrication down. About twice or three times a year I spray lube down the port. I can't recall what the name of the product is but to the best of my memory on the can it said something about being a water resistant silicone.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav400SDC View Post
    Take the front panel off and spray WD40 on the drum may help
    If you use WD40 you are asking for trouble. It is a petroleum based lubricant and will make plastic soft and brittle. If you want to lubricant use pledge household furniture wax. It will not leave residue or affect plastic. In the pass if I heard one making that noise then it is a sign that there is metal to metal contact on the inside of one of the stages. this warrants a complete tare down to fix. they have a 5 year mechanical warranty so bring it to an ASC for repair.

7. Member
    Our 12ft Talons were getting a bit of a squeal, last weekend while in 15ft of water and current I deployed them while we were fishing, when we went to leave I ran them up and down a couple times and they were super quiet again
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

8. Member
    I called Minn Kota and they told me to use Pledge, NOT WD40. Seems strange but I'm gonna try it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCbound3 View Post
    I called Minn Kota and they told me to use Pledge, NOT WD40. Seems strange but I'm gonna try it.
    As I stated above. Pledge has wax in it and wax helps with lubrication.

10. Member
    Aluminum rivets