2007 521VX factory bilge setup.? Adding another pump.

I picked up a 07 521VX and I am trying to figure out what bilge system I have (without pulling my batteries and charger). There are 2 bilge switches but only one turns a pump on. Also curious why the bilge pump does not automatically turn on when there is water in the bilge? I had the little plastic cover that goes over the jack plate bolt hole in the splash well come off and it let a lot of water in. I noticed to extra weight and realized what happened so I turned on the pump and it worked fine. But why didn’t it happen automatically? Maybe they didn’t come with a auto bilge or maybe it faulty... I think I want to ad a second pump that it direct wired to battery so that in the case of boat being moored overnight with power off the bilge with automatically kick on. Just wondering what is there so I can get everything I need before I tear into it. What pumps do you guys recommend for long term dependability? Any other tips are welcome.

If you could post a pic of your switch panel and your Livewell switch...would really help in determining your system.

If you have two bilge pump switches, one is for Manual and one for Auto. You may have to have the switch for Auto on for it to work.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    There should have been an auto bilge pump in that boat,it has probably quit working or the auto switch is bad.check them both. The issue with wiring direct to the battery is if/when the switch hangs it will kill the battery and the pump.

5. Member
    RipBass. So you are thinking that there are 2 pumps and one of them is auto but it needs to be switched on to work. I guess that would be semi auto. I’m thinking that kinda defeats the purpose other than being a way to shut it off if the pump switch went out. Otherwise I would think it should just always be on.
    Both of my switches have wires going to them but I have not traced them or looked in the bilge since it’s a big job to pull the batteries and charger out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    RipBass. So you are thinking that there are 2 pumps and one of them is auto but it needs to be switched on to work. I guess that would be semi auto. I’m thinking that kinda defeats the purpose other than being a way to shut it off if the pump switch went out. Otherwise I would think it should just always be on.
    Both of my switches have wires going to them but I have not traced them or looked in the bilge since it’s a big job to pull the batteries and charger out.
    The switch is for manual over-ride of the auto bilge pump. The auto pump will work via the internal float switch (auto) or manually via the switch. Your wiring diagram on the boat will illustrate the wiring arrangement for the auto pump. You should be able to hear each pump turn on as you hit each switch, if not you have a dead pump.
    Last edited by ericm; 08-10-2020 at 07:18 AM.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

7. Member
    ERIC M is correct !

8. Member
    Ok. That sounds like the problem. The switch on the right must be for the dead auto pump. Sounds like a winter project.

9. Member
    I have same year/same boat. If you aren’t hearing a pump when you flip both switches one of your pumps most likely isn’t working. I haven’t looked at mine yet, but my last Ranger had 2 pumps and I’m sure this one does too

10. Member
    Thanks Noahtn. I think you are right. I reached up under the dash and felt wires going to ea switch so something must be broken. I'm Assuming it's the pump.

You NEED to be able to see what you have. Is it two pumps or like MINE, ONE pump with a float switch attached.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

12. Member
    Wmitch. Does your boat have 2 switches? I realize I need to see what’s going on. I was just trying to understand what that second switch was for and wondering if I was just doing something wrong. But when my bilge has water in it the switch on the left pumps water. The switch on the right doesn’t do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    Wmitch. Does your boat have 2 switches? I realize I need to see what’s going on. I was just trying to understand what that second switch was for and wondering if I was just doing something wrong. But when my bilge has water in it the switch on the left pumps water. The switch on the right doesn’t do anything.
    No, I have ONE pump that does both. I can switch it on at the dash or when the level reaches the right height the AUTO Float switch comes on. It's wired directly to the battery so it will come on even if the Battery Disconnect is off. I've seen it come on in the parking lot on the trailer when it's raining !! LOL
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms