1998 488VS Bow Wiring and..what is this?

So, wanting to connect my fish finder power to the accessory switch on the bow panel board thingy, remove the panels and of course, not being 1st (or 2nd or 3rd) owner, find a bird nest of wires this way and that...with a bundle of some connected to whatever this is.

Anyone?

I'm assuming its associated with the Lowrance depth finder and surface temp gauge installed @ Flippin decades ago...but before I do anything drastic...

IMG_1215.JPGIMG_1214.JPG
    Douglas Fowler
    1998 Ranger 488VS, 200 Mariner EFI
    1999 Honda ST1300A

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruggedwebmaster View Post
    So, wanting to connect my fish finder power to the accessory switch on the bow panel board thingy, remove the panels and of course, not being 1st (or 2nd or 3rd) owner, find a bird nest of wires this way and that...with a bundle of some connected to whatever this is.

Anyone?

I'm assuming its associated with the Lowrance depth finder and surface temp gauge installed @ Flippin decades ago...but before I do anything drastic...

IMG_1215.JPGIMG_1214.JPG
    That's got an awful lot of wires going into it. What does the writing on the relay say? What do all those wires go back to?
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

3. Member
    Looking at the wiring a little closer this morning, none of the connections appear to be connected to anything up front with only one pair running 'down' starboard side to where I don't know yet.
    Douglas Fowler
    1998 Ranger 488VS, 200 Mariner EFI
    1999 Honda ST1300A

WOW ! I've never seen one like that !! The Red should be a POS, Black should be NEG, Blue is Motor trim-up, Green is trim down, White may also be a ground. Does that whole loom run to the back ? Do any of the wires on the bow switches connect to it ? I guess we need more PIX !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents