Question Removing lure paint.

How's the best way to remove paint from old lures ?

Thanks Mike

Trying to re paint cranks? Just scotch brite them, prime and re paint... Some soda blast them or sand blast with walnut shells.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Got a place where clear top water baits are working.. Got some different ones they don't offer in clear that I want to take the paint off.
    was afraid to try some type of paint remover before asking

Many baits are made with white plastic...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

and many are clear...........

I would be that any liquid paint remover would melt most of the plastics that baits are made from.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Get some industrial strength window cleaner. Put in mason jar and put bait in it then lay something like small rock on it so it’s fully emerged. Paint will be off in 1-2 days

8. Member
    Done it lots of times for making clear baits out of factory painted ones . Get some acetone and pour it on a rag so it is wet . Wipe the lure (with hooks removed of course ) in one direction from head to tail . You will see the paint start to soften and come off onto the rag . Change to a clean rag again soaked with acetone after the rag you are using becomes loaded up with paint . Take your time and wipe off any paint patches that are more stubborn . When all the paint is off I always took a clean rag wet with acetone for the last (final ) gentle final strokes . This will result in a perfectly clear smooth finish on the lure blank .
    s

was hesitant to use acetone because of the reaction it has with some plastics.. will give it a try.
    and or the window cleaner..

10. Member
    Acetone will absolutely melt a plastic bait if left immersed in it . By wiping the bait using the wet rag method it never really soaks into the plastic and evaporates off really quick . I have done this to Rebel pop -R's , Norman crank baits , and Bomber crank baits to make clear baits out of them with no ill effects to the bait structurally .

11. Member
    Mike, clear topwater baits are definitely productive at Conchas, Ute, Butte. Try finding your bait of choice at the many places selling Knock Offs I've had much success with them.

Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    Mike, clear topwater baits are definitely productive at Conchas, Ute, Butte. Try finding your bait of choice at the many places selling Knock Offs I've had much success with them.
    If they would let us fish the lakes. Went pre fishing for SC championship last week and a clear walking bait with no rattle was the deal.
    Tried the acetone as kls2020 advised and it worked good.
    I had an original Vixen repainted many years ago and it didn't produce like before being painted. I went to work on it and think I know why !! I bet the paint was 1/16" deep LOL.. had to scrape it first then acetone.. Its clear now..

Thanks for the tips everyone.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    If they would let us fish the lakes. Went pre fishing for SC championship last week and a clear walking bait with no rattle was the deal.
    Tried the acetone as kls2020 advised and it worked good.
    I had an original Vixen repainted many years ago and it didn't produce like before being painted. I went to work on it and think I know why !! I bet the paint was 1/16" deep LOL.. had to scrape it first then acetone.. Its clear now..

Thanks for the tips everyone.
    In general silent baits have been my go to for a few years now. Ive gotten pretty good at drilling and removing bearings, rattles, etc, then repairing with fiberglass patches and epoxy. Silent Jerks have been extremely effective, if we really think about it hooks and split rings produce noise.

Duo Realis makes some silent baits I've been having good luck with.
    Sometimes I believe fish get conditioned to certain things. For several years I had a lot of confidence in chatter baits. So far this year I'm not having much luck.. However I've done exceptionally well with the almost forgotten spinnerbait ..