Wireless Chargers for phone

Are there better or worse brands for wireless chargers? I bought an el cheapo off Amazon and it does indeed work. It however seems to be slow as Christmas when charging.

Any experience ?

2. Member
    If it makes you feel any better theres a wireless charger built into my F250 and its slow to charge too.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    If it makes you feel any better theres a wireless charger built into my F250 and its slow to charge too.
    Now you have me wondering if I can add a built in wireless to my F350. Is yours built into the center console or dash ?

I asked a buddy whos all into the latest and greatest Apple stuff and he said they are just slow. I had never used them before so wasnt sure if I just bought a crappy cheap unit or its just the way it is. Ill have to put it beside the bed and just use it every night instead of using it during the day when I need the phone.

5. Member
    yes, you can build them into the F series..at least the new ones I know you can. not sure about pre 18'. Wireless chargers in general are slower than wired chargers even if you get a 10w/15w one. they use magnetic induction and work differently than a standard wired charger. We were issued a Belkin wireless pad that works well if you just put your phone on a table while your on the couch or before you go to bed. If you need a quick charger before you hit the water or on the way to work, use a corded charger.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman6805 View Post
    Any comparison to a corded charger ?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Now you have me wondering if I can add a built in wireless to my F350. Is yours built into the center console or dash ?

I asked a buddy whos all into the latest and greatest Apple stuff and he said they are just slow. I had never used them before so wasnt sure if I just bought a crappy cheap unit or its just the way it is. Ill have to put it beside the bed and just use it every night instead of using it during the day when I need the phone.
    My F250 is a '20 model. Its built into the console in front of the shifter. Terrible location since I use it for change and loose crap. Quit using it within the first week and use the USB-C port instead.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    My F250 is a '20 model. Its built into the console in front of the shifter. Terrible location since I use it for change and loose crap. Quit using it within the first week and use the USB-C port instead.
    Same for the new Rams. I’ve got a 19 Laramie with the wireless charging and it works about half the time, and when it does it’s slow at charging. I’d rather just use the cord

9. Member
    After a little research I believe the issue is that I think I have a 5W unit. Not one of the 10-15W units.

Someone correct me if im wrong as its been a LONG while since I had electrical theory classes. Isnt Wattage calculated Volts x Current. My charger has an output of 5vdc and 1A output.

10. Member
    Wireless chargers are slower than plugging in. If you’re looking for something to charge overnight, I use this one - it’s on Amazon as well.

techshelfcharging.com
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

11. Member
    My wifes 17 accord touring came with it. Took her till this year to finally upgrade her phone. So she could see if it even worked. LoL

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I got the Anker brand wireless charger off Amazon amd works great.....Anker makes great product for less $$....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

13. Member
    I just got whatever was cheapest and compatible with my phone off Amazon. I love it! Nice to just sit it on it at night. And if you get a notification it's easy to just grab and sit back down in the dark.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    After a little research I believe the issue is that I think I have a 5W unit. Not one of the 10-15W units.

Someone correct me if im wrong as its been a LONG while since I had electrical theory classes. Isnt Wattage calculated Volts x Current. My charger has an output of 5vdc and 1A output.
    it will help but again....it's not going to nearly as fast as a wired charger as I said why above. Wireless chargers , until they figure out a way not to over heat and fry your phone, will be slower than a wired charger. a 10w+ will increase your charging performance but it isn't going to be the same as plugging it in.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    it will help but again....it's not going to nearly as fast as a wired charger as I said why above. Wireless chargers , until they figure out a way not to over heat and fry your phone, will be slower than a wired charger. a 10w+ will increase your charging performance but it isn't going to be the same as plugging it in.
    Yeah I gotcha. Figure if I can speed it up any it might be worth it. Might put the 5W in the bedroom and a higher output near my computer in case its needed.

The heat aspect is interesting.

If you have a cover on your phone it will severely slow down your charging time. We have a couple of Samsung brand wireless chargers since we have Note 10+ phones. I have never noticed my phone running any hotter on them in the years we have used them.

17. Member
    I agree with buying Anker products.
    1 advantage is that you can plug a wireless into your laptop and charge off of there with no chance of malware/virus influence. My company does not allow you to charge your phone from your laptop for security reasons. Not an issues with wireless.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

18. Member
    My wife has one,I won’t use it. Those things work off of voodoo and black magic.....I’m joking,not seen her doing voodoo.

19. Member
    Thought I would give an update. I purchased an Anker charger at the recommendation on here. This charges WAYYYY faster than my previous wireless. I think it was only 30 bucks so it didnt break the bank or anything.

Anyways now you know.