Is this small gouge a problem?

Noticed a gouge in the back part of my boat near the transom. Curious if I need to do anything about it or just carry on as normal. Pic attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd put some epoxy or glass resin on it if for no other reason than to keep it from flaking. Probably not a problem otherwise.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    I'd put some epoxy or glass resin on it if for no other reason than to keep it from flaking. Probably not a problem otherwise.
    Would something like this work? & just spread it in/on the gouge? https://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-Cl...esive/50149636

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drosey44 View Post
    Would something like this work? & just spread it in/on the gouge? https://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-Cl...esive/50149636
    Epoxy will be fine but use 30 minute cure. Five minute cure generates more heat and is more brittle.

5. Member

6. Member
    Battle scar. Gives the boat character.

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Battle scar. Gives the boat character.
    , would also cover with some epoxy for peace of mind.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

8. Member
    Fishing tomorrow AM. Do yall think it's okay to run it like that tomorrow or would yall get epoxy on it tonight?

Yes, it's a problem. All of the white gel is gone and the black fiberglass is showing through. If not repaired, the fiberglass can absorb water and over the long run cause delamination. Personally, I would never repair with epoxy. I would call your boat manufacturer and get some matching gel. Or, simply buy some white Marinetex. Since it's a solid color, rather than polyflake, it's a relatively easy DIY project.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I would use Marine Tex.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Yes, it's a problem. All of the white gel is gone and the black fiberglass is showing through. If not repaired, the fiberglass can absorb water and over the long run cause delamination. Personally, I would never repair with epoxy. I would call your boat manufacturer and get some matching gel. Or, simply buy some white Marinetex. Since it's a solid color, rather than polyflake, it's a relatively easy DIY project.
    Isn’t Marine Tex an epoxy?
    Last edited by USMC2112; 08-09-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

12. Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2112 View Post
    Isn’t Marine Tex an epoxy?
    THat's what I was referring to. Thought it was.

14. Member
    I found that a tub repair kit is a cheap way to fix it

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drosey44 View Post
    Fishing tomorrow AM. Do yall think it's okay to run it like that tomorrow or would yall get epoxy on it tonight?
    I would not worry about it and go fishing BUT as soon as I got the chance I would patch it. If you fish today I would give it a few days to dry then I would use M4200 or the Loctite Marine epoxy product that was mentioned. I have never heard of the JB Weld product you mentioned but know people have used M4200 and the Loctite Marine epoxy to fix small places just like you have.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    I would use Marine Tex.
    White marinetex and keep it in the tool kit, you will need it again

Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    White marinetex and keep it in the tool kit, you will need it again
    Mountain Home ChamP 181

Marinetex may be an epoxy. I thought people were taking about using a regular two-part 5 minute epoxy. Marinetex is specifically made for marine applications. If it were me, I'd get some gel putty from the boat manufacturer to do the repair.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Marinetex may be an epoxy. I thought people were taking about using a regular two-part 5 minute epoxy. Marinetex is specifically made for marine applications. If it were me, I'd get some gel putty from the boat manufacturer to do the repair.
    I used the term "epoxy" referring to MarineTex. My bad. We always referred to it as epoxy. Thanks for clearing it up.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    I would use Marine Tex.
    ++1