Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gator Trax Strike owners????

How do you like boat?

Does it need a 36 volt trolling motor, and does it need a 45” or 54” shaft?

I have read on forums these boats have a tendency to not wanting to plane off at slow speeds and one poster on here said his had a slight porposing issue that was fully resolved with putting a wedge on the motor. I guess that is why some of them have the trim tabs. Anyone else experience any of these symptoms?

Otherwise, these look like great boats. Also, the magic tilt trailers that they use are the best looking aluminum boat trailer I’ve ever seen.

2. Member
    Only one I recall on here was OriginalTin, but he earned himself a permanent ban. Maybe you can find some answers by searching his old posts. Good luck sifting through the garbage he used to post, though.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

3. Member
    Call Kent there or email him - he’ll answer all of it pretty candidly.

4. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    Only one I recall on here was OriginalTin, and he loved his so much he got banned. Maybe you can find some answers by searching his old posts. Good luck sifting through the good nature humor he used to post, though.
    I fixed that for you...
    Im joking of course
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

5. Member
    No, I think Pagregss had it right....
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

6. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    No, I think Pagregss had it right....
    No he didn't...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

7. Member
    I guess I missed it where he said something that was ban worthy. He has a bad a.. boat, but the orange peel was horrible.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_3272 View Post
    I guess I missed it where he said something that was ban worthy. He has a bad a.. boat, but the orange peel was horrible.
    That wasn't tins boat. The person you're talking about was banned a long time ago under a different name. I don't recall the reason? Maybe it was in the brouhaha about a pro in a tournament in VA. That little debate got several good long time members the boot.

The blue Gator Trax is still around on FB. It turned out really well.

Original Tin was a riot.

9. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Original Tin was a riot.
    Yep, and he loved his Gator...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post

Original Tin was a riot.
    that's one way to describe him............

I would highly recommend the 36v, but that would be on any boat. Mine is 52" shaft. I like the ability to adjust when in rough water. Never had issues planing or porpoising. I do not have hydraulic trim tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by crappielabrador View Post
    How do you like boat?

Does it need a 36 volt trolling motor, and does it need a 45” or 54” shaft?

I have read on forums these boats have a tendency to not wanting to plane off at slow speeds and one poster on here said his had a slight porposing issue that was fully resolved with putting a wedge on the motor. I guess that is why some of them have the trim tabs. Anyone else experience any of these symptoms?

Otherwise, these look like great boats. Also, the magic tilt trailers that they use are the best looking aluminum boat trailer I’ve ever seen.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

12. Member
    The former member in VA sent me these to post.

13. Member
    Mine is a 20 ft. I have a 24 volt with 52" shaft - it is all I need. I am the one that installed the wedge. No more issues. I have a 225 not a 250. There is more than enough room in these boats to have 4 batteries

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney2100 View Post
    Mine is a 20 ft. I have a 24 volt with 52" shaft - it is all I need. I am the one that installed the wedge. No more issues. I have a 225 not a 250. There is more than enough room in these boats to have 4 batteries
    Rough water ride? Is there enough v in the hull to keep from getting wet and beat up on a big lake? I’ve been looking at the 22 foot version for a while.

15. Member
    The rough water ride is fine. I have had several 21 ft glass boats - the rough water ride in the Gator trax is better than the glass. It might have something to do with the weight. The Gator trax boat is heavy

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney2100 View Post
    The rough water ride is fine. I have had several 21 ft glass boats - the rough water ride in the Gator trax is better than the glass. It might have something to do with the weight. The Gator trax boat is heavy
    Very good to hear. I was concerned that it wouldn’t have enough flare to keep the water off of you. The 22 footer is a beast.

17. Member
    Hey crappielabrador. I have a 20' GatorTrax Strike with a Suzuki 250ss on the back. I had Kent install a 36v ultrex on mine, and I have not regretted it one bit. Kent told me that I could have used my terrova that had a 45 inch shaft, but that it might cavitate in choppy water. I decided to just sell the terrova as I hated the electric steer and the foot pedal. To answer your question about porpoising, mine did porpoise a bit at lower speeds. It would stop if I trimmed down and put the pedal to the metal. I called Allen with GT and he told me to take a block of wood and a 4 pound hammer to the built in trim tabs (bottom of the boat that extends past the transom) and bend them down on both sides no more than 3/16". This worked well for me, and took the porpoising out for the most part. It will still do it if Im not trimmed down when slowing down, but that it to be expected. Have you decided on whether or not to buy one yet?

18. Member
    By the way, the Ultrex on my boat has a 54" shaft.

19. Member
    Hey Rodney2100, just curious what your prop to pad measurement is with your 225 on that strike? Also what altitude are you running at most of the time, and what motor are you running?

20. Member
    I have never measured the prop to pad. I have a hydraulic jack plate and move the motor up and down all of the time. The motor is a 2015 Mercury Pro XS. I only run the boat on Lake Fork here in Texas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast