Question Helix 7 gen 1 Sonar/GPS No Sonar

I turned it on successfully and everything ran fine. It turns on and passes the self test. Internal GPS works fine. Everything looks normal on it except just a white screen on the sonar view. I can adjust the range or put in auto and it reads no bottom and shows nothing but the blank view with depth lines. Doesn't show particles in water or bottom. It's like the transducer isn't working. This is a bow unit that is dedicated to it's own transom transducer. It's not in a network. It's just a Sonar GPS gen1 unit and it has its current update (7.780) which hasn't changed since 2016. Sonar is turned "On." I restored defaults to check everything. I went back and physically checked the transducer in the water. It looks same as always. It's wire seems fine. I followed it into the bilge corner until it disappears behind gas tank to head up starboard side and on up front.

Any ideas?

This H7 only has 2 plugs. The power plug and a barn shaped one that has 7 pins in it. I plugged in a barn shaped plug from the nearby Helix 10 that has 3 pins in it to see if unit would read it's transducer. Same blank sonar screen
    Attached Images Attached Images

A three pin transducer is 2D sonar with Temp. Those pins are in the same position for every #9 connector transducer (7-pin capacity).

Run the Helix 7 in Simulator to see if the processor is doing 2D sonar.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Correction. Helix 7 does show sonar properly when I used the helix 10 sonar plug beside it. I had forgot to put trolling motor ducer in water for testing from that helix 10. So nothing wrong with helix 7 unit. That helix 7 barn shaped plug looks perfect. All 7 pins pristine and straight. What could possibly be wrong? I plugged it into a nearby Helix 10 and same issue (No bottom or readings of any kind). So I'm beginning to be convinced something must be wrong with that wire and/or transucer. But I'm guessing that's all one piece.
    Again, this helix 7 transducer is rigged outside of transom.
    Anyone ever had his situation?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    A three pin transducer is 2D sonar with Temp. Those pins are in the same position for every #9 connector transducer (7-pin capacity).

Run the Helix 7 in Simulator to see if the processor is doing 2D sonar.
    Hey Wayne we sent messages at same time. My second message stated that my h7 sonar worked fine with another plug from h10. I'm still going out to do what you said. Be right back.

5. Member
    I ran helix 7 in Simulator mode and simulator 2d looked beautiful for what it's worth. It did get a message saying transducer not connected. So it has to be something to do with the helix 7 plug then doesn't it? I see nothing wrong with it.

Should not get a transducer not connected when using Simulator since the transducer is not pinged doing that.
    Is the software current?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    [QUOTE=Wayne P.;11302637]Should not get a transducer not connected when using Simulator since the transducer is not pinged doing that.
    Is the software current?[/QUOTE

According to Humminbird.com the helix 7 sonar/GPS gen 1 current update is 7.780 which is what it has. This apparently has been it's updated software since 2016. Which was when I think it was manufactured.

[QUOTE=BassCatKev;11302646]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Should not get a transducer not connected when using Simulator since the transducer is not pinged doing that.
    Is the software current?[/QUOTE

According to Humminbird.com the helix 7 sonar/GPS gen 1 current update is 7.780 which is what it has. This apparently has been it's updated software since 2016. Which was when I think it was manufactured.
    With all you have checked I would guess the transducer is faulty.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Thanks for all your help Wayne. Your assessment was right on. But while I was putting stuff away in my starboard locker, I noticed a separated plug. This was the problem. I had likely unplugged it while someone was helping me clean up wiring and fixing a power issue we resolved months ago. I just never plugged it back in. This was a transducer extension plug since this H7 is a bow unit with ducer on transom. I rarely use the unit so never thought anything of it. It works perfect now.
    At least I learned something. Thanks for your time.